Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Was this a correct shove?

Old
Was this a correct shove? - Thu Mar 22, 2012, 06:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Should I have perhaps called or 4-bet smaller then shoved the flop?

Villian was playing 55/10 but only 20 hands on him.

Old
Thu Mar 22, 2012, 06:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Emotivekiwi!

Your shove is fine.

1) You hold the pre flop nuts; that hand will NOT be the nut hand on most all flops though, so ANY call that is made is going to be a "mistake" for an opp here, but the same may not be true on the flop.

2) The pot had over 900 in it, and that represents a pretty big chip up for your stack even if you do not get a caller. It the pot were smaller, a big raise may cost you the opportunity to get more value, but as the pot grows, taking down just the amount in there now becomes more and more valuable.

3) A raise and a 3bet shows likely "interest" in the pot by at least one opponent. this means that either (or both) of the opp's may be willing to play a BIG POT with their hand(s). Since you hold the absolute best hand pre flop and can only be called by less, why not give them the chance to do so?

So in my opinion EK, your shove was just fine here.

Hope it helps!

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:35 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Kiwi!

I agree with Dave on this that I like the shove too. A std 3-bet is going to be over 1/3 of my stack (committment point in the hand), so due to this, I'm going to shove.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com