Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

1st hand PSQ 1,1 buy-in

Old
1st hand PSQ 1,1 buy-in - Fri Mar 23, 2012, 06:12 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
First hand. I know nothing. Am ranked 406/9066, so am semi aiming for premier league. Am risk adverse (or should be).

Old
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 06:37 AM
(#2)
Here is one more. This is sort of how I play these days. So adds context to style of play the first is really the only one for analysis.

The villain loose aggressive in my mind. He had been doing lots of odd stuff.

Old
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 11:06 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi jergul!

Please only put one hand in a thread in the future, unless the other one has a direct impact on the way that the hand is to be played (previous history with opp, etc). It'll make the threads flow better for discussions.

hand 1: In this situation, I'm going to make a std raise preflop (3BB+1BB for each limper), so I'll raise to 160. Higher or smaller raises can be bet tells and I don't want to have the opp pick up on what I may be holding.
I also want don't want to be raising more, as I don't want to give away chips, as since this is a league game, points are all that matter and I do not want to be taking chances and give myself an opportunity to lose league points.
The flop brings an overcard, straight draw and flush draw. The opp that limp/called pre leads into me for 120 into a pot of 540. They either hit a part of the board or have the draw. Either way, early in a league game, I'm mucking JJ here and saving chips. The reward is not worth the risk, as an early exit will cost me too many points.
When the second K hits on the turn, the opp leads again and if they have a K, I'm now drawing dead. If I thought the opp was bluffable in a cash game or tourney, I may try shoving over them here, as I'm either ahead or crushed. However, in a league game where points are the only priority, I'm mucking, as there is no way for me to know that I'm absolutely ahead in the hand.

hand 2: I'm making a std raise preflop here too.
When the opp makes a small bet on the flop, with 2nd pair and top kicker and a gutshot straight draw, I'm flatting them here. I have outs if I'm behind and since the opp is LAG, they could have easily gotten involved with Kx. Obviously, when I hit the straight on the turn, I want to be building a pot.... however, in this instance with the opp having 2 pair, they do have 4 outs to a full house against me, so even though I have the current nuts, the opp can draw out on me.
If I put the opp on two pair, then I'm NOT getting it all in on the turn, as I'll make a value bet and not get all my chips in until the river as I want to be sure that the board does not pair.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 12:13 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi jergul!

Please only put one hand in a thread in the future, unless the other one has a direct impact on the way that the hand is to be played (previous history with opp, etc). It'll make the threads flow better for discussions.

hand 2: I'm making a std raise preflop here too.
When the opp makes a small bet on the flop, with 2nd pair and top kicker and a gutshot straight draw, I'm flatting them here. I have outs if I'm behind and since the opp is LAG, they could have easily gotten involved with Kx. Obviously, when I hit the straight on the turn, I want to be building a pot.... however, in this instance with the opp having 2 pair, they do have 4 outs to a full house against me, so even though I have the current nuts, the opp can draw out on me.
If I put the opp on two pair, then I'm NOT getting it all in on the turn, as I'll make a value bet and not get all my chips in until the river as I want to be sure that the board does not pair.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)
Thanks John and noted with apologies my abuse of format.

My reasoning for re-raising on flop was information and to make him pay for betting into a possible draw. The way I saw it, the tiny bet was prolly more likely a blocking bet, a bet into draw, or a pot stealer. If it was meant to induce a reraise so he could shove with air or a K, then well-played, I would fold. There was just no reason I could see to let him small ball it.

Besides, he is a LAG, any semblance of pot control would fly out of window if I had called. He would have shoved on turn no matter what he had. Leaving me with a difficult decision on the turn. And I hate difficult stuff.

When a LAG says lets small ball, I tend to try to long ball or leave the field. Playing his game just cost me chips over the long run.

I think I am on to the right way of thinking, even though I generally screw up the implementation.

(he shoved on turn anyhow. Though with benefit of two pair)

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com