Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Tough spot on the turn

Old
Tough spot on the turn - Fri Mar 23, 2012, 09:04 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

I just sat down, 17 hands in.
The villain did play one hand so far. He can´t be found when searching his name so I reckon he is a regular.
the two callers PFR are weak players

Old
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 09:06 AM
(#2)
perhaps I should raised more PFR,
I was going to fold to a 4bet.
Haggys folded the turn

Old
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 11:41 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Sjekkkk,

I agree that if we're going to 3b here we should be making it a bit larger given that there's 2 cold callers already. I don't think we should ever be 3b/folding on 100 bb stacks with QQ unless we have some good reads that we don't have here, so once we take this line I'm willing to stack it off preflop.

On the flop we've bloated the preflop pot enough that the SPR is below 2, I don't think I'm planning to fold an overpair of queens with this low an spr generally. Now it's a multiway pot so that does change the commitment decision a bit with the increased chance for players to hit hard... for instance if the OR check-raises us, the next guy check-raise-3b jams, and the next guy check/calls off, I think QQ becomes a really easy fold even on a low spr.

As played, I am calling. Just trying to range the opponent, JJ seems to be the biggest concern. AA or KK are possible but he chose not to 4b with 2 active players still behind him pre and I'd expect a 4b usually in that spot. But I think he can also have just a jack here, or a hand like TT that he thinks is good, or be semi-bluffing with diamonds. The reason is your flop c-bet is really small relative to the pot, it looks a bit like AK leaving itself room to get away, and if the villain peeled the flop with a jack, he may decide it's good. His line in this case is not unreasonable.. he flat calls to see 1) how the other 2 players who "checked to the raiser" react, so he can still get away from weaker one pair hands if one of them jams and 2) no ace or king hit the turn, then he goes with it. It's also a nice turn jam size to apply maximum pressure.

So yeah, not terribly excited about it, but I think without reads it's generally long term profitable to make this call.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Mar 23, 2012, 03:58 PM
(#4)
thanks dave,

I did call and the villain had KK.... I had the same read as you did, and when I saw the replayer I noticed my 3bet was a bit small..

the reason I bet so low on the flop is that I want to rep AK and get value from any kind of Jx, the flop in general is unlikely to be hit, and people should fold if they haven´t hit anything

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com