Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

i couldnt play this any worse

Old
i couldnt play this any worse - Sat Mar 24, 2012, 02:07 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
the whole point in me calling from the button was because villain had me covered and if i dont hit the flop hard i can get away from it . what was i thinking of slow playing when i know this player will stack off on a pair .
Poker Stars Freeroll No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t80/t160 Blinds + t15 - 9 players - View hand 1700065
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: t5150 M = 13.73
UTG: t4440 M = 11.84
UTG+1: t2340 M = 6.24
UTG+2: t2500 M = 6.67
MP1: t1649 M = 4.40
MP2: t3088 M = 8.23
CO: t5632 M = 15.02
Hero (BTN): t2290 M = 6.11
SB: t1070 M = 2.85

Pre Flop: (t375) Hero is BTN with J :spade: J :heart:
2 folds, UTG+2 raises to t400, 3 folds, Hero calls t400, 2 folds

Flop: (t1175) J :diamond: 3 :diamond: 9 :club: (2 players)
UTG+2 bets t440, Hero calls t440

Turn: (t2055) 5 :diamond: (2 players)
UTG+2 bets t800, Hero calls t800

River: (t3655) 2 :diamond: (2 players)
UTG+2 bets t845 all in, Hero calls t635 all in

Old
Sat Mar 24, 2012, 11:25 AM
(#2)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Frasier!

Preflop, I'm in position, so I could raise or call here. If I was out of position, I'd either raise or fold.

I flop top set, but there is a flush draw and possible combo draw too. The opp leads out for 440 (21.4% of the pot if I call). If the opp has the flush draw, they have 9 outs (18%) and if they have a combo draw, they have an extra 3 or 6 outs, which raises their hand equity to (24-30%).
Just incase they have this, I am going to raise the flop in order to price out these draws.
My std 3-bet here is between a pot size raise and 3X their bet, so I'd raise to 1200...... however, I only have 1875 chips left, so due to being pot committed... I'm shoving the flop.

Yes, the opp can easily have draws to beat me, even if they do, I have 7 outs on the turn and 10 on the river to improve. If they're going to draw to beat me, then I want to make sure that they have a -EV play to draw.
This is a good example of why bankroll management is important, as if I don't raise the flop, then I could give the opp a +EV play to draw at me, which I do not want to do.
Slowplaying sets on a draw-heavy board will most likely give the opp a +EV draw and I want to make as many of them as possible a -EV play for them due to having to put too many chips into the pot (pot equity will then be higher than their hand equity).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Mar 25, 2012, 02:24 PM
(#3)
hey John

thanks for your input . Virtually everything you said i did consider , except the combo draw - but none the less i still managed to make a mess of this hand . Like I said i called in position to try and catch a jack . i dont mind my call on the flop but i think i have to shove the turn because i know the villain is the type of player that would have called the shove on the turn even if a diamond had not come on the turn with just an overpair to the board . Even on a flop this wettish i think slow playing the trips is the wrong play .

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com