Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PSOSL KK Bad call?

Old
PSOSL KK Bad call? - Mon Mar 26, 2012, 04:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
Hello everyone.So i busted out with this hand there where 2000 players left , i was kinda aiming for the big stack in my right ,he was playing very loose with any 2 cards with big over bets ver agressiv,so i had to put him on a weak ace preflop ,and when i made the call i thought he had q or j with rags...Thank you and please advice.

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 11:29 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi RomeWu!

Was this a league game or a cash tourney? The reason that I ask this is that it will make a difference in how I play it.

In a league game, preflop with KK I want to make a std raise (3BB+1BB for each limper), so I'll raise to 800.
The flop gives a very coordinated three undercards giving me an overpair and a straight draw, BUT, it's a board that I could easily not be ahead with. AK for a made straight and also any two pair combination is well within either opp's range, let alone all the straight and a flush draw.
In a league game, I'm going to be more cautious compared to a cash tourney, as the league points that I can gain by lasting longer in a tourney is the only goal.
Due to not knowing that I'm ahead in this situation, when the opp shoves the flop, I'm mucking KK here. Getting ITM in the league games for points is the main goal in those tourneys and I do not want to take a chance when I don't know that I have the best hand.

If this was a cash tourney, I'd make the same opening raise that I would in a league game (3BB+1BB for each limper), to 800.
However, on the flop, I'm going to look at things differently.
To call, I need to put 3930 into a pot that will be 9675 (40.6%).
I now go to pokerstove to see what the hand equity of my hand is. Since per the read, the opp was playing loose with overbets, I'll use a top 27.6% hand (any A, broadway, pair). When calculated, my KK has 77.1% equity. Even if the opp was playing only a top 10% hand, my KK has 61.3% equity.
The hand equity (77.1%) is larger than the pot equity (40.6%), so I'm going to call.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 12:22 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2012
Thank you very much John,your advice is gold.Yes it was open skill league.

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi RomeWu!

One thing that will be very beneficial to you is to understand the differences between a league game and cash tournies. What will benefit you in one, may not be the best play in the other.
Looking at the same hands from both perspectives is something that I've benefitted from greatly in the past.

In league games, the key is to accumulate as many points and what cash position I get into (unless I can make the FT or top 3) is not going to matter much.

In cash tournies, while it's great to cash (and cashing is the first step), the real goal in these puts a much higher premium on ladder climbing and especially for the FT and top 3, as the prize $$ is heavily weighted to the final table. In these tournies, it's better to take more chances to accumulate a larger stack... as the payouts keep increasing, epsecially with the final table and top 3.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com