Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

JJ pot control ?

Old
JJ pot control ? - Mon Mar 26, 2012, 03:31 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2010
what is better line? pot control or bet/bet/bet line

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 06:22 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi CZDonkey!

I'm going to use both some value betting along with some pot control here.

Preflop with JJ, I'm going to make a std raise (3BB+1BB for each limper), so I'll raise to 80. Making standard raises helps to keep the opp guessing at my hand and doesn't turn my cards face up... like a very large or small bet would.

The flop brings 3 undercards that are coordinated for a possible straight or flush draw. The opp now makes a very small lead bet of 80 chips into a pot of 440 (18% which would price in any flush draw with overcards). Due to this, I absolutely want to raise the flop and I'll size my raise at basically a pot size raise, to 500.
To call, the opp will need to put 420 into a pot that will be 1360 (30.8%). Even if the opp has a flush and 2 overs, they have 15 outs or 30%... so this raise prices them out.
By only raising to 260, the opp only has to call another 180 into a pot of 880 (20.5%), which can price IN their draws... something that I do not want to do.

The opp calls the flop raise and the turn brings a 7, which would complete one of the possible straight draws. The opp checks and this is where I'll use the pot control portion and check behind.

The river brings the K of clubs, that is an overcard and can complete the flush. Most of the time, if the opp has hit the K or the flush, especially with me checking behind on the turn, they will bet the river to try and get value for their now made hand (they could very easily think that I'll check behind again and they will lose the value of their hand). However, the opp checks again.

This is where a read on my opponent comes into play. How have they reacted in the past to river bets.
If the opp is passive and espeically if they're just likely to call my bet, then I'm going to make a thin value bet here of about 1/3 pot. I could be beat, but since they didn't lead and would be likely to call, I can get further value from the hand.
If the opp is very aggressive, then I'd be more opt to check behind. I would not want to have the opp come over the top of me and potentially bluff me off of the best hand by shoving and representing the flush.

The line that I'll take in this situation is a std raise preflop, raise to price out the draws on the flop, check for pot control on the turn, then my river play will be read dependant of more likely a thin value bet, but possibly a check behind.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 06:32 PM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2010
thanks. you always help I must do something about counting equity in post flop game. I just use 4/2 rule and rest is just about feeling for me

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com