Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

blind defense

Old
blind defense - Mon Mar 26, 2012, 03:36 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2010
Am i playing to passive here. what should I raise for value here? and fire two barells on this board? I am allways checking and then check/calling. its weak right? how can i be more agresive here?

Old
Mon Mar 26, 2012, 06:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi CZDonkey!

With this hand, while QJs does have potential, I'm playing the entire hand out of position, so I'm going to check my option preflop.

The flop gives me 2nd pair, but there is a flush card and overcard out there. Here's where I'll take one shot at getting the pot (unless I improve later), as I'll make a value bet that will represent a K. To do this, I need to make a value bet that will price out the opp's draws (flush or straight, or possibly both.. but if they had both, unless it's maybe JTs, I would expect them to raise preflop).
Therefore, I'll make a pot-sized bet of 125 here. I could win the pot now, but if the opp calls, then I'm probably beat and will re-evaluate after the turn. If the opp raises me, then it's an easy muck, as I know i'm most likely beat.
By checking to the opp on the flop, it gives them the lead in the hand and puts me on the defensive the rest of the hand.... not knowing whether or not I may have the best hand.

Check/calling every street here out of position is not a line that I want to take, as it's too passive and lets the opp control the entire hand. This is a great example of why position and also the lead in the hand is so important in a poker game.

I'd take a shot at the pot on the flop (with a bet that will price out all of the opps draws), then check/fold from there if I don't improve and the opp calls the flop bet.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Mar 27, 2012, 04:58 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
A check raise is a good move to make if you feel he plays far too many pots and/ or steals to many blinds. By doing it on the flop you're keeping your risk relatively low and should take the hand down there and then. If he calls you then have a decision to keep barrelling the semi bluff or give up on the hand. That turn card would make me lead out again and represent the trips or a flush, if he calls the turn however I'd probably give up on the river.

Old
Tue Mar 27, 2012, 06:14 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey CZdonkey

I agree with JWK's analysis but their is an option that I prefer which is check/folding flop.

Villain can be betting his air but as we are out of position with middle pair marginal kicker this is a fold for me. If villain bet half pot then I may continue with the hand, but as he has bet 100 into a pot of 125 it's just not worth it.

The call we make is likely to create an awkward spot for us too much of the time, so with only our big blind invested I opt to check/fold.

Last edited by ChewMe1; Tue Mar 27, 2012 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old
Tue Mar 27, 2012, 10:02 AM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2010
thanks, i am all the time in awkward spots I know I can play better poker but I dont know how. This souds wierd, but its true.

Last edited by CZDonkey; Tue Mar 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM..

Old
Tue Mar 27, 2012, 11:34 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi CZDonkey!

Here's a video that I think you should watch. It's from one of Dave's training sessions on position.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com