Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Is zoom good or bad for my long term game?

Old
Is zoom good or bad for my long term game? - Wed Mar 28, 2012, 05:10 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Right so this week i'm playing in the 6-max vs full ring challenge, to get the volume in that i needed i thought i'd play some zoom. I'd never played before but it's been going pretty well... I've played 2159 hands for a profit of $15.90 for a BB/100 of 36.82.

However although i'm playing profitably i don't think zoom is going to make me much of a better player as although it drill in basic abc poker it doesn't further other atributes such as you're note taking or advance hand ranging skills.

So i suppose my question is although my i'm doing well ultimately to my further my game do i need to play less of it and more of regular 6-mac (this is at 2NL)?

Thanks for any advice

Old
Wed Mar 28, 2012, 11:54 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
I'm also playing this challenge, and figured the only way I could do 2k hands was to play Zoom. Much to my surprise, Zoom seems to bring out my inner LAG. I'm pretty much a nit in regular tourneys, but I get much more aggressive when I play Zoom.

I'm not sure why this works for me, since I'm normally pretty passive, but I'll go with the flow for as long as it lasts. I've been on a pretty brutal downswing lately, but Zoom seems to be exempt form this run of bad luck. Not that I'm burning up the tables, but at least I have a positive BR at Zoom.

As far as advancing your game, its depends what you're trying to accomplish. If your goal is to become a great tourney player, then Zoom probably won't help no matter how much you make. On the other hand, if your main goal is to be a profitable player and you're winning at Zoom, then maybe you've found your particular niche.

Like almost everything in poker, it depends...

Old
Thu Mar 29, 2012, 01:13 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
However although i'm playing profitably i don't think zoom is going to make me much of a better player as although it drill in basic abc poker it doesn't further other atributes such as you're note taking or advance hand ranging skills.
Advanced hand range skills and note taking are just as important in zoom poker, if not more so.

Old
Thu Mar 29, 2012, 07:14 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Sens Fan View Post
Advanced hand range skills and note taking are just as important in zoom poker, if not more so.
Oh don't get me wrong i'm not saying they're are not but it is much harder to do when you are moved every table and have no reads on players. Also the speed the game moves at makes it very hard to make good notes on a particular player.

Also joy my current goals are to improve my all round cash game play and hopefully move up some stakes in the process.

Old
Wed Apr 04, 2012, 02:59 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
i saw a video chris ferguson made playing this version of poker on fulltilt (forget what it was called) and he said he was never bluffing becuase it was pointless to bluff in that format. i think he was playing $50/100 stakes

Old
Wed Apr 04, 2012, 03:29 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
Oh don't get me wrong i'm not saying they're are not but it is much harder to do when you are moved every table and have no reads on players. Also the speed the game moves at makes it very hard to make good notes on a particular player.

Also joy my current goals are to improve my all round cash game play and hopefully move up some stakes in the process.
If you press Control at the same time you fold, the table stays open and you have plenty of time to write notes. You can also review the previous hand by clicking on Previous Hand and then write notes

Like Da Sens said, Notes are very important

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com