Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

struggling with when to c-bet with a marginal made hand...

Old
struggling with when to c-bet with a marginal made hand... - Wed Mar 28, 2012, 05:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
So i'm currently playing 2NL and when I raise out Pre-flop with a hand like 10's or 99's, and then don't really hit the board I'm unsure when to c-bet. For example if a flop came out J 4 8 (especially if there is a draw) is it profitable to c-bet if i have this type of marginal hands. I see that it will depend on player type but what bet and for which players. I also find it hard to decide to c-bet out of position with a hand such as AQ when the flop comes out fairly high but i haven't hit. Also in both these situations am u betting for value or as a bluff?

Sorry if this seems an obvious queston, just a spot i've been struggling with.

Thanks for any advice

P.s not sure if i should start loads of multiple threads as i've been reviewing some of my play and just wanted to see what everyone thinks. But shall i keep many questions/topics to one thread or a new one for each.

Last edited by Croyd93; Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 05:25 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 28, 2012, 05:43 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2012
More practice thinking for me .

The c-bet is almost inevitably profitable with mid pairs. But the difficulty that may arise stems from the pre-flop. You don't really want to see the flop, so bet accordingly to clear out as many players as possible.

Against one-two opponents a c-bet is trivial with just one over card.
Against 3 or more...well, there should not be 3 or more in the pot if you did the preflop right.

c-bet when in doubt. Everyone only has 30% of making a pair anyway. Aggression often pays.

Two overcards and 3 opponents would cause me to doubt.
Just as 3 opponents would cause me to doubt value of 2 overcards if flop did not pair up.

But that is just me. Lets see what the pros say.

Old
Wed Mar 28, 2012, 11:39 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
I probably C-bet more when I don't hit, but it depends on the number of opponents and the texture of the board. I've found it's usually profitable to c-bet if I have the betting lead against weaker opponents, especially if my pre-flop raise was just called.

One over, say a king if I'm holding Ax, and I usually fire. If I'm holding something like QJ and the board is K88, then I'm a little more cautious. Generally, if in doubt, fire the c-bet, it puts pressure on your opponents and their reaction to your bet gives you more information to re-evaluate your position.

A big check raise is usually your cue to fold those 2nd pair hands, unless you have a solid read on your opponent that dictates a different reaction. As always in poker, it depends on the specific situation and your reads on your opponents.

Old
Thu Mar 29, 2012, 07:28 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
Cheers for the solid advice guys I think i shall watch the langoliers video on 3-betting today. Actually i have a nice long list of stuff to watch after looking through the archive

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com