Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl 6max-A9 did i play my 2 pair correct?

Old
5nl 6max-A9 did i play my 2 pair correct? - Mon Apr 02, 2012, 09:19 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Hi everyone,

Just wanted your thoughts on this spot that i played recently,my opponent was a ralatively tag opponent with stats of vpip:25 pfr:17 but he was stealing around 30% from late postion.
i defended my blind and hit 2 pair, the spr was just over 9 so i felt like i wouldnt be folding 2pair here very often against an opponent who could have some strong Ace hands that arent AK.
So did i overplay my hand here when he shows strength?
Thanks

Last edited by Nashy1996; Mon Apr 02, 2012 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: correcting info

Old
Mon Apr 02, 2012, 11:16 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Nashy,

I think committing is fine here. AK and KK are certainly concerns, but he may well also stack off with K9, AQ, maybe AJ, and also for sure people would play AcXc this way on this board. Once you get raised on the flop if you just flat and check to him, you give him a chance to check it back with hands like AcXc and take a free card, so I think I like 3-betting and getting it in like you did a bit more.

Putting that range into PokerStove I get 53% equity for you. So yeah, it's not terribly exciting but still ok to commit and get it in here imo.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 02, 2012, 04:18 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
Personally I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that many (if any, assuming some level of competency, though obviously that's not a given!) TaGs are stacking off with AJ/AQ here unless ofc it's AcJc or AcQc.

Is he really 4 bet jamming TPGK /w what appears to be no fold equity? I think it's unlikely.

I'd say it's more likely he'd jam /w QTcc or JTcc in "gamble-mode" (which ironically is more or less what we're in if we're ranging him correctly :P) than either of those hands. Did you win the pot Nash, what did villain show (or not show, as the case may be)?

Edit : Just to be clear I'm not advocating folding - vs the range I assigned we were 57%.

Also, quick question - should we discount 99, AA and A9 from his range because - in a combinatorial sense - it's so difficult for him to have them? (both when inputting to stove and as a whole)

Last edited by AceKingBlows; Tue Apr 03, 2012 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Various syntax and some extra.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com