Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl 6max AK-Was my call correct

Old
5nl 6max AK-Was my call correct - Mon Apr 02, 2012, 09:34 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Hi again,

I thought this spot was an interesting one, my opponent was a tag type player, i dont have the stats sorry but i know he wasnt getting out of line very often,and thats why i didnt 3bet preflop from his utg open to keep his range as wide as possible.
i flop tptk and the nut flush draw and i bet out and he shoves for almost 100bb, i found it to be a tough decision but i have found when opponents make this move it often can mean some one pair hands and draws that are scared of the texture of the board,but even against some sets i still have equity.
So was my call correct here?
Thanks guys

Old
Mon Apr 02, 2012, 10:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi Nashy,

This is a really horrible spot, personally i am not calling here. He most likely has a set of tens maybe aces or a set of kings and is scared of the flush; he may have even somehow hit the flush with maybe QJ of diamonds (although thisis somewhat unlikely). Although you have the draw to the nut flush he's laying you no where near the required odds to call. Due to all this i favour a fold.

On the flop i would try and pot control and check call anything up to a pot size bet, as you have a fair amount of outs to improve if he is beating you and it is possible you are ahead of something like AQ. Just my opinion mate but i'm no pro and only play 2NL so wait for some solid advice for the experts.

Old
Mon Apr 02, 2012, 11:34 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Nashy,

I would actually call here, and the reason is I think he will be doing this with a few worse made hands and also with AK, hands we're freerolling.

I don't think he'd necessarily play a set this way, nor QdJd, but I ran this through pokerstove including those hands. I used AA, KK, TT, AK, KQ with the Qd, QQ with the Qd, KTs, and QdJd... our equity vs. that range is actually about 60%.

The price the pot is laying us, we need ~ 45.7% equity to break even. If we are ALWAYS drawing here (i.e. villain always has AA, KK, TT, KTs, or QdJd) our equity is still 37%, so getting it in isn't a huge error but would be a mistake. If we are sometimes ahead right now however it quickly swings in our favor. For instance, I think if villain plays all these hands this way ("for protection") then he'd also play AK this way. We're not even beating AK, just tied and freerolling it, but adding just AK into the equation already jumps our equity to 48.7% and in the +EV range. If we can add in KxQd (I think we can) then it's even better for us. So yeah, I think this is a call.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 02, 2012, 12:09 PM
(#4)
I didn't even think of including QQ in his range for some reason unknown to me, would it be possible he plays JJ with Jd this way also? After looking through your reasoning i agree with you that the call is profitable, no doubt that is why you are the hand analyser andi am a mere 2NL player.

Also just out of interest with the Ad in our hand do we fold quite easily? Sorry for hijacking your thread nashy i just think the hand is quite interesting

P.s What did he end up flipping over?

Old
Mon Apr 02, 2012, 01:53 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
Also just out of interest with the Ad in our hand do we fold quite easily?
I think you mean without the Ad... yeah I think it's an easy fold without the Ad. That changes our equity vs. his range across the board. We're drawing dead to runner runner vs. sets and QdJd, in terrible shape vs KTs and AA, not nearly as far ahead of KxQd as before, and we're being freerolled by AdKx instead of freerolling other AK's.

Quote:
Sorry for hijacking your thread nashy i just think the hand is quite interesting
Discussing and sharing your own thoughts on hands is never hijacking! We would love to see a lot more of this actually.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 01:58 AM
(#6)
Also just out of interest with the Ad in our hand do we fold quite easily? Sorry for hijacking your thread nashy i just think the hand is quite interesting "Quote"

Thanks for your thoughts Croyd93,as Dave said u certainly didnt 'hijack' my thread i welcome your discussion and actually appreciate it alot
I think all these discussions and looking at hands from different angles like you did makes us all better players.
I'm glad u found it interesting thanks again.

Last edited by Nashy1996; Tue Apr 03, 2012 at 02:01 AM..

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 02:05 AM
(#7)
Thanks again for your help dave i dont think i had some of those hands in his range that u included also.
I'm continuing to work at my hand reading and ranging after watching your great vid on the topic

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 02:09 AM
(#8)
My opponent ended up showing a set of 55 but i was really trying to play against a possible range rather than one specific hand as Dave showed with his equity calculations

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 06:43 PM
(#9)
Oopss yeah i meant without the Ad, and i didn't think that he'd be doing that with 55 but what do you know some players do the oddest things But like you say better to be putting your opponent on a range. Nice pot nashy good call

Old
Wed Apr 04, 2012, 02:07 AM
(#10)
nice gamble I like it!!

again try to 3bet PFR with such a strong hand, because you will be out of position without the betting lead, and you will define the villain his hand more clearly. It is perfectly fine to 3bet and then fold AKo

In zoom I had TT with a spade the flop came down 9 J Q all spades, my two opponnent both shipped it before it was my turn, i decide to call anyway because I knew one opponent had AA with a spade and the other a set (he actually had AK of hearts lol)

conclusion: sometimes you got to gamble with super strong draws and get it with the worst hand but good equity, next to that you also had a backdoor straigth draw, so in worst case scenario you´d be a 28% underdog vs a set that is.
he might decide to ship AK here and you are 33% favourite to win lol
he might decide to ship QQ or AQ with a diamond here and you win over 90%
against AA you still have 11 outs and a backdoor chop, about 44% underdog.

In general I would say you are 60% favourite to win vs his whole range good call

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com