Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

A good hand

Old
A good hand - Mon Apr 02, 2012, 03:44 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Hi,

Is K7 a good hand?

The reason I ask is, the last three days I've been busted by it.
Twice I had KK and lost to K7 Hearts, but the latest hand I had AQ suited.

Did I play my hand right?
A hour and half into the $3.30 turbo tourney, everyone fold's to me and I am on the button with AQ spades, I got 11BB so I pushed all in. The big blind has 16BB and calls with K7 spades. Both of us missed until the river where a king came. Out I go!

I am I just pure unlucky at the moment or am I making bad play?

I wouldn't dream of calling with K7 suited or unsuited, should I start playing this hand or is it a case of donkey's just getting super lucky?

My frustration continues for at least another day!

Old
Mon Apr 02, 2012, 05:49 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Seven!

There is a bunch of information that can play into this.
How are the others at the table playing (tight, loose, passive, aggressive). Are you ITM? If not, how far until you get there? What are the chip stacks of the others at the table? What are the blinds/antes, if any? How many hands are you playing (over or under 20% of the hands)?

The answers to these questions are critical, to see if the hand is played correctly. A push may be correct, a std raise may be correct, without the other info, I can't tell you how I'd have played it.

Please provide this and I'll do what I can to help.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 02, 2012, 06:56 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
I would say you you just got unlucky with your AQ on the button.
You cant fold your way to victory, Raise fold 11BB is a spew of chips.
So well played better luck next time.

If I have pocket Kings and get called by K7 suited I smile like this

Just unlucky IMO

Old
Unhappy
Commisserations - Mon Apr 02, 2012, 07:39 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
I'm not much more than a novice, but if it makes you feel better, I'm on a run of beats that would get most people standing on a bridge looking down.
Here's just two.....
I'm holding J-J on the button. I raise big and get called by the loose BB. Everyone else folds. So far, so good. I want him in, Head to Head. The flop brings a J plus 2 under-cards. He raises, I'm all-in over the top of him with my set of Jacks expecting to take down the pot. He calls, all-in
The hands are shown. I have J-J-J whilst he has King-high and he should now pay for his recklessness.
The Turn and the River are both Kings and I'm busted.

In another game, which I felt I was playing as well as any I've ever played, I managed to engineer a call versus two-pair Q-Q J-J. I'd not gone raised as big as usual and kept the loose players in having being dealt Q-J suited. Then the flop Q-J-A fell my way and I bet big for value, folding all bar the loosest player who raised all-in. I was certain he had paired. I called all-in.
The card turn showed he had been dealt A-5 and had gone all in on A-A and was facing elimination versus my two-pair.
The Turn was a nothing-card but the River card was a 5.
It was me not him, who was eliminated.

Keep going my friend. If it's bad luck, you have hardly started........

Last edited by arkle3107; Mon Apr 02, 2012 at 07:43 PM..

Old
Wed Apr 04, 2012, 05:57 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2012
typical 'bad beats', happens frquently, just keep making good calls/bets and you'll do fine in the long run

Old
Angry
Fri Apr 06, 2012, 05:42 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Thanks Browny for the encouragement. 'Seven' Keep going, buddy.

For novices who cannot play 100's of hand per day, it's very galling to learn a bit and improve then watch it all get blown away by luck......
The blogs and boards are full of this kind of thing.
I try to smile more these days..... LOL
My son who plays some fairly serous cash games on here says I'm making good calls and all will come right in the long run.

Here's another beauty, happened only yesterday.

I was chip-leading and playing well (dead straight TAG and hadn't revealed a single card) and on the button with J-3 suited (clubs). I wouldn't normally play but it was folded to me and the blinds had been weak. I raised 3BB and got 3 callers- both the blinds and the weakest player of all (Gun).
I hit 2 more clubs (9-7) on the flop plus a 3 of diamonds- pairing my own.
The blind and gun checked as I knew they would and my information bet was enough to fold both him and the BB. The SB called.
The Turn was the 10 clubs.
I had outs for trips 3's, pair Q and Q-flush, but hit the flush in 4 cards.
I figured that the only danger was a higher pocket club which could only be A or K. But I also figured if the SB had either or both he wouldn't have been able to resist a huge pre-flop bet as he had bet/called pre-flop all game.
I put him All-in for his stack expecting to take down a reasonable pot on a fold.
SB called All-in.
It turns out that he had called my opening raise on 9-3
He flopped 9-3 making two pair
He went all-in despite being up against the dominant chip leader, betting aggressively with 3 clubs and a pair on the board.
The River card was the 9 of hearts, giving him a win with a full-house v my Q flush......

Don'tcha just love Poker?

Last edited by arkle3107; Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old
Talking
Fri Apr 06, 2012, 11:33 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Just a quick update......
Today I've managed 5 cash games and had a second-place pay-out and in the latest one a win.
In the win I eliminated all of my opponents (each time I went i with the better hand though- No Hail Mary's to be fair). For now, the bad-beats are gone.... LOL

My lad just won a 9-seat $30 buy-in......
Happy Days

Old
Did I make the right move? - Mon Apr 09, 2012, 11:41 AM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
I was one place away from the ITM. The blinds were 600/1200 and I had only 7500 chips left. I had ace 10o and shoved. A mid stack called with king jack off and caught a jack on the turn to bust me. The next lowest player had chips in the teens. Was I wrong in shoving all in there?

Old
...... Was I Wrong? - Sat Apr 28, 2012, 04:31 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Hi Chef,
As a beginner I'd like to understand more about this spot you found yourself in. I'm assuming there were 4 of you left in a full-ring game? (.... one place away from being in the money). I'm assuming you were 3rd stack and you shoved against the second stack? With you only having 6 BB's left I guess you could feel justified, but on the other hand the 'mid-stack' couldn't have had much more BB's left than you and the bottom stack was 'in the teens' which surely meant he had less than 2BB's? The game was undoubtedly approaching it's conclusion, but in my humble beginners opinion, you put the game on the line too early. The bottom stack may well have busted before your own chips ran out and put you in the paid-places. Your play would have given you a stack to challenge for the game had you won, rather than settle for a minor place.
So you put up a Hail Mary and threw an interception........

"Play for first, but settle for second" some poker legend once said.

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 04:59 AM
(#10)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
Ok, here is the fact. K7s is trash card. Reason if you hit K you don't have a strong kicker if you hit 7 there is a lot of overpairs. Even if the floop is 2,3,7 there is still in game TURN RIVER and any pocket pair 7+ so wach out..

Don't play with these card, only if you are BB and it on you to check... playing high pair with weak kicker is the perfect recept for bankrot if you understand me.

Old
Thu May 10, 2012, 04:41 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Denis,
Chef was holding A-T.
His opponent beat him with the K-7, which is why he posed the question........

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com