Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL Full-Ring flopped boat

Old
25NL Full-Ring flopped boat - Tue Apr 03, 2012, 12:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Hi PSO,

Like to discuss this hand, where somehow my mind-replayer started to choke
At least I know played it not as should.

Oke, I tell my thinkings during the hand and then after review of the hand, hope u can give me some humble opinions. Don't shoot, i did already

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

I did not played against my opponent before, and I have seen about 25 hands roughly at the table.
During that short time I had not much stats VPIP:18,PFR:14 post aggr: 14, cbet flop a lot.

I was not sure about his min raise, slowroll big starting hands? don't think so at that time.
Flat call my BB I think was not that bad, so I could see the action on the flop and decide then.
Wow.... I hit a big boat. Now I was thinking slowplay, slowplay, if I bet I lose action and because I could expect a c-bet I think checking was fine too.

Turn play I missed totally in my mind-replayer at the river decision, back on that later. Still I decided to check the turn and he checked also. I was still thinking if I bet the hand is over, the turn was not a card we both can use. That T on the river did not scare me at first, I bet for value and got min raised. Whoops why it was now a scare card? I really don't know.

At that time I was thinking a lot about AT, not sure why and could not get the action into a raise, which I should do actually. I was never thinking about folding my hand, but calling was sure not an option. The turn, I won’t think he would check back with any Ax and the one hand which could beat me was AT.

At least I did get some value but it was more due to my opponent his raise. And a good hand to discuss, I tend to miss some value due to not play that aggressively postflop.

Ferdy

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 02:14 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
i think you played the hand fine except for the river. i think you were right to just call his flop bet because u have no way of knowing if he was an ace or not, which is the only thing that's gonna call a raise. the turn is a blank, so a check here was also fine. i think ur bet on the river is also fine--u bet 1.25 into a 2.50 pot, exactly 50% of the pot. however, it's the kind of bet that's gonna prevent ur opponent from trying to make a big bluff on the end, if he is at all capable of doing that. it's the kind of bet that some people might try to make a crying call with just a 9 or 10, so it's good if they hold that kind of hand because ur getting the most out of them with ur bet (since they're never going to raise or make a big bet themselves if u were to check or bet smaller, but they might fold if u bet much bigger). it just so happens the guy rivered a flush and is probably minraising whatever u throw out there. pretty weak play from his part imo, but it does seem to be a play i see a lot with players who don't know how to evaluate the value of their or their opponent's hands. anyway, the guy minraises. the only thing that beats u is AT, so i think a raise is in order. i think we need to raise it between 6 and 7 dollars (thats the total, so a 2.50-3.50 raise on top of the 2.25 it takes to call). the second nuts is a pretty strong hand, and before i saw the result i felt like ur opponent was just trying to represent the flush--i didn't think he actually had it. and i combined this with the .70 bet he made on the flop that again just seemed like he was trying to win the pot right there, even though he was value-betting the 9. even though i didn't think the guy had anything, i never like to minraise, which would be 2.25 in this spot.

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 02:20 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Ferdy,

The big problem with this hand is actually the slow playing imo. Sometimes slow playing is correct but usually it only serves to cost you money. It's a single raised pot and you'd like to build a big final pot, so the way to grow the pot is to bet and raise (actions that keep it small are checking and calling). Since the villain c-bets with a high frequency checking to them is fine, but I would make a smallish check-raise here. We will get called at least once by pocket pairs that hope we have a flush draw or are just making a move, and we are giving AK/AQ a chance to raise again and grow the pot so we can facilitate getting stacks in vs those strong trip holdings.

I agree with you, as played we basically have the nuts on the river since I can not see the villain ever checking back the turn with AT. So a river 3b is definitely in order. The hand range the villain would check back the turn and now raise the river with is mostly flushes and TT, and perhaps a turned full house that he himself slowplayed (and maybe the occasional bluff). I would make a large 3b, even all in is ok... zeebos theorem applies to TT (he's not folding a full house) and I think we'll often get paid off by a flush as well. Basically his range is polarized to very strong 2nd best hands and maybe a few bluffs, when ever our opponent has a very strong hand and we have an even stronger one, we should favor large bets or raises, even large overbets are ok.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 02:25 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup143 View Post
i think you played the hand fine except for the river. i think you were right to just call his flop bet because u have no way of knowing if he was an ace or not, which is the only thing that's gonna call a raise.
I think we are getting called by TT-KK a ton of the time on the flop, and if we fail to raise we don't give big aces an opportunity to put more money in.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 02:46 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
I think we are getting called by TT-KK a ton of the time on the flop, and if we fail to raise we don't give big aces an opportunity to put more money in.
wouldn't TT-KK raise preflop though?

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 03:21 PM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup143 View Post
wouldn't TT-KK raise preflop though?
The villain did raise preflop.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 05, 2012, 10:49 AM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2011
Thanks Guys,

I for real never forget this hand Have not showed u all! As always I did not uploaded the hand with real names. But here it is:

and if u are thinking...... it's no joke

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com