Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Software & Videos & Literature /

Doyle Brunson's Super System 2

Old
Doyle Brunson's Super System 2 - Tue Apr 03, 2012, 03:07 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
Doyle Brunson's Super System 2 - (2005)

Saw this in my local charity shop today, apparently a rewrite of his original from the seventies, with contributions from several poker names and covering various poker games.

It's a big book - I had a quick scan and it looked OK - anybody read it or have any views?

The charity shop was closing and I sneakily put the book back on the shelf in a semi-hidden position so it should be there if I go back first thing in the morning - but is it worth six quid? (about $10.00).

[When considering the price/value please remember this is SCOTLAND.....]

Ed from Edinburgh = EdinFreeMan

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 03:19 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Ed,

I'm in the middle of reading it right now. It's not really a re-write, but additional info and for some different games that were not covered in SS1. There's a real good section from Mike Caro in it and also a section for online play too.

It IS worth that price (I paid $11.95 for mine when I bought it).

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 03:41 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
It's for ultra high stakes live cash and is probably outdated. I only read the NL sections but it was of very little use to me at low stakes.

Basically he says, if you get AA raise, if you get AKs raise, if you get JTs raise, if you get 72o and raise and the flop comes AKQ then just keep raising until your opponent folds. That's his section in a nutshell.

I won my copy and was the first poker book I ever read. I wouldn't recommend it for low stakes online but it will give you something to read and gives a fair reflection of the poker scene a few years ago.

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 03:51 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
It's for ultra high stakes live cash and is probably outdated. I only read the NL sections but it was of very little use to me at low stakes.

Basically he says, if you get AA raise, if you get AKs raise, if you get JTs raise, if you get 72o and raise and the flop comes AKQ then just keep raising until your opponent folds. That's his section in a nutshell.

I won my copy and was the first poker book I ever read. I wouldn't recommend it for low stakes online but it will give you something to read and gives a fair reflection of the poker scene a few years ago.
Nice review - I got that impression from a quick scan of his section - he is all about aggression.

I don't expect it is aimed at micro-stakes online players but I'm sure there is still some good info in there, and the bits I scanned looked quite 'readable', in terms of the writing style, at least for someone who like me is still learning the game but at least understands most of the poker terminology by now.

I've only got one poker book so far and that is aimed at limit hold em which I started out with but rarely play now, so I will probably pick it up as I don't come across much poker related material and the library doesn't hold much stock either.

Thanks Ovalman -

& JWK - I'll check out the Caro section and the online part before I buy..

then I'll have to open my sporran and count out some pennies.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 04:07 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
I haven't read much of the NL sections yet, but Mike Caro's section is good. Although, I recently finish 'Mike Caro's Book Of Poker Tells' and most of his stuff in 'Super System 2' came from that. The section on Doyle Brunson and his history is really interesting. Talks about things like being held up at gunpoint while rounding with Amarillo Slim and being terminally ill with cancer just to randomly be cured one day?

I bought my copy on Ebay. I think I spent around $7.50 and shipping and all. It was used, but in close to mint condition.

I figure if I ever want to learn to play another poker variant Super System 2 will be the place to start.

Overall book was well worth the small investment.

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 04:13 PM
(#6)
I read it when it first came out and then lent my copy out and never got it back (it's probably gathering dust in some charity shop in Edinburgh atm ) so it's been quite a while since I read it. Forgot about the stories in it, the human factor is good. I'm sure you'll glean some information from it. I remember skipping through a lot of sections like the Omaha one.

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 04:16 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'm reading the omaha one, as I've been playing some O8 and this is the first book section on O8 that I've ever had.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thumbs up
I have 9 poker books - Tue Apr 03, 2012, 05:57 PM
(#8)
Hi guys! I have 9 poker books in my library and this was one of the first I read. I believe it to be worth the price as it is both entertaining and has a lot of general poker information written in it by some notable Poker Pros, world champions and theorists. It does not go into great depth of any one topic but does provide good general information to use that is simple to understand and not overwhelming like some advanced books.
Daniel Negreanu, Jennifer Harman, Mike Caro, Bobby Baldwin and others including the man himself, Doyle Brunson, made this a compelling book for me to start with since it did cover several topics all in one book.

Old
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 10:05 AM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
If you can get this book at a cheap price it is fine but there are much better books/videos that are current including the free material from PSO. You can learn 20 times more from a video today from these current pro's.

Giddy Up!

Old
Thu Apr 12, 2012, 10:23 AM
(#10)
(Head Trainer)
The book is worth the 10 bucks, but not for the NL section, that is way out of date. But the other game sections are worth it. In particular Baldwin's O/8 section, Todd Brunson's Stud/8, and Jen Harman's Limit Hold'em sections are all excellent imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 16, 2012, 10:03 AM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
The book is worth the 10 bucks, but not for the NL section, that is way out of date. But the other game sections are worth it. In particular Baldwin's O/8 section, Todd Brunson's Stud/8, and Jen Harman's Limit Hold'em sections are all excellent imo.
+1.

Side games sections are quite good.

I paid full price for mine when it came out, and do not regret it at all.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
hy - Wed Jun 06, 2012, 10:06 AM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2011
i just read this book,the first part...im interested because its old versionat it would be wise immediatly throw myself to read a second part,and forget first part,because i heard that there is small difference,except that the second part adapted and suited to our time,and has a much more detailed about omaha...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com