Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Question about Start Hand Chart

Old
Question about Start Hand Chart - Tue Apr 03, 2012, 04:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Hi,
I have a question about the Start Hand Chart that is on the Limit Hold'em tutorial. Every position is divided into Pot unraised and Pot raised. I don't understand the Re-Raise in the Pot Unraised column. How can you re-raise when the pot is unraised?

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 04:32 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi monkeyking10!

Welcome to the forum. Here's a link that you'll want to take a look at to get more familiar with PSO.

The reason for it on the chart is that with these hands, you want to max out the pot if possible. The first raise is not a re-raise, but you will want to keep raising with these hands preflop (and not raise just once, as a player would want to do with a single R on the chart).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 05:11 PM
(#3)
Hi JWK24,

Thank you for your quick reply. I've just recently done the basic- and the core course. And I got stuck at the start hand chart for fixed limit.

Please tell me if I have understood it correctly:
R(Raise): You simply raise. If the pot was raised before you, it will be 2 raises totally.

RR(Re-raise): You raise, and if someone after you raise again, then you raise one more time? So you aim to raise 2 times?

If there was a raise before you(Pot raised column), then you raise, and someone after you raise again and all others call until it's your turn, do you raise the second time here? In this case it will be 4 raises totally?

Old
Tue Apr 03, 2012, 07:38 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
(preflop) the big blind is a forced bet. if you open, (raise) (not call) that is a raise. if someone raises your raise, it's a reraise (or a 3 bet) if that raise is raised, it's a re- reraise, (or a 4 bet) next is 5 bet and so on.....
after the flop if you bet, its just a bet. if that bet is raised, it's just a raise. if you raise his raise, it's a reraise

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Wed Apr 04, 2012, 12:44 AM
(#5)
Thank you for your reply mtnestegg,

I understand the things you say, but what confuses me is this:
For eg the starting hand chart says:
Middle position, pot unraised:RR(re-raise).
Since it's unraised(everybody called) until me, I can only raise. If somebody after me re-raise, does that mean that RR is fulfilled(and I should call this re-raise)? Or does RR mean that I should raise 2 times(which means I should re-raise again)?

My confusion here is that I don't know if RR means 2 times raise on the table for everybody or I should raise 2 times.

Old
Wed Apr 04, 2012, 02:12 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi monkeyking!

RR - raise every chance that you get. If you're the initial raiser and someone else raises, then when it gets back to you, keep raising as many times as you can.

R - raise the pot 1 time.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 04, 2012, 10:42 AM
(#7)
Totally clear.
Thank you very much.

Old
Sat Apr 07, 2012, 04:00 PM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnestegg View Post
(preflop) the big blind is a forced bet. if you open, (raise) (not call) that is a raise. if someone raises your raise, it's a reraise (or a 3 bet) if that raise is raised, it's a re- reraise, (or a 4 bet) next is 5 bet and so on.....
JKW24 has it right - RR means raise whenever and as often as you can.
Just to note - you are talking about Fixed Limit, which means there can ONLY BE 3 RAISES per betting round. If the betting goes - Raise, Raise, Raise, that is all money that can be bet on that round. The third Raise is often referred to as "Capping" the betting.

Good Luck on the tables.

Herk

Old
Sat Apr 07, 2012, 04:21 PM
(#9)
Thanks Herk

Old
Sat Apr 07, 2012, 05:15 PM
(#10)
The chart is not a bible of poker, you need to adjust your starting hands to those in the pot and those to act after you. It's a good grounding however but always be aware who acts (before and) after you.

Old
Sat Apr 07, 2012, 05:56 PM
(#11)
ya... my appologies monk, my head was kinda stuck in NL forgot this was the limit section

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 03:29 AM
(#12)
Thanks, I will take that into consideration when get more experienced. For now I'm just learning at play money table and it will have to be my bible for now . I feel that the hardest thing as a beginner is time. I plan to practise one thing at a time.
1. Follow the starting hand chart.
2. Calculate outs.
3. Calculate odds.
4. Calculate Pot odds and compare with winning odds.

However that is much more difficult in reality than in theory, because of the time. I'm not even fast enough to calculate the outs . All the play money tables I try are fast tables, how can you find the regular tables?

Old
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 09:08 PM
(#13)
Since: Nov 2011
Starting hands chart is just a reference for beginning players it isnt the be all and end all of poker, once you start playing you will be able to mix it up more and get more creative when you know when to pick spots.

Old
Wed Apr 11, 2012, 02:37 PM
(#14)
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com