Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL25 3-bet pot with QQ postflop play

Old
NL25 3-bet pot with QQ postflop play - Tue Apr 03, 2012, 06:31 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
[converted_hand][hand_history]Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $25 (100 bb)
MP: $25 (100 bb)
CO: $24.65 (98.6 bb)
BTN: $65.14 (260.6 bb)
Hero (SB): $40.28 (161.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:diamond: Q:heart:
MP folds, CO raises to $0.75, BTN folds, Hero raises to $2.75, BB folds, CO calls $2

Flop: ($5.75) A:club: A:diamond: T:spade: (2 players)
Hero bets $2.74, CO calls $2.74

Turn: ($11.23) 9:club: (2 players)
Hero bets $5.36, CO calls $5.36

River: ($21.95) 2:heart: (2 players)
Hero bets $14, CO calls $13.80

Villain's stats: VPIP:28 PFR:18 AF:1.7 H:190

I guess the flop and the turn bet is good here. But what about the river bet? Can I bet for value? He seems a loose passive guy, so I assumed that if he has a very strong hand then he would raise me. And I took out KK of his range, because he would 4-bet with it preflop.

Old
Wed Apr 04, 2012, 01:43 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
generally I would shut down after a C-bet out of position. perhaps not even bet a flop like that, you indicate that he is loose and passive he might give you a free card, and what card do loose players like to play most? correct: the Ace of spades

altho his stats indicate a more TAGish player.
his range has so many AQ´s and AK´s and the rest he´ll fold to a c-bet anyway

if you bet ask yourself the next question?
what is his range of hands he can call a 3bet with?
AK AQ JJ TT perhaps AJs smaller pairs, maybe suited connectors (if a person is likely to overplay big pairs and is deep stacked)
I think he´ll 4bet KK and AA.

what of these hands will call me that I beat? (valuebet)
none, unlikely to a TAGish villain that he´ll peel with JJ

what of these hands are better and fold to a (c)bet? (bluff)
perhaps KK

conclusion:

there is no reason to bet the flop nor turn and specially not the river.

Last edited by Sjekkkk; Wed Apr 04, 2012 at 01:48 AM..

Old
Wed Apr 04, 2012, 06:56 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Nocco88!

Pre flop your 3bet is fine.

QQ is not only going to play pretty well versus the villain's likely raise range, but even if the villain calls a 3bet, QQ should have pretty solid equity versus the stats you show.

This flop can be pretty dicey for you though...

I am going to C-Bet this flop a lot, if only because the paired ace makes it a bit less likely the villain has one. Since you read him as loose/passive (although I'm not certain I'd agree with that at a 6 max table with these stats), there is a chance he might call you on something like KT.

If he fades my C Bet though, I am really not in favor of betting the turn all that often.

First, doing so for a standard amount leaves a single pot size bet in the opponent's stack. While you can easily fold if he JAMS over a turn bet by you (because he is passive, and passive players won't jam without a monster), if he CALLS a standard turn bet you cannot really do anything but check/fold the river. I say this because a call does not leave him enough of a stack to ever consider a bluff as working if you hold an Ace (and passive players don't think in terms of bluffing anyway), so even a tiny bet by him would have to make you fold after adding 2 streets of value for the villain.

Next, as you read the opponent as passive, there is not a great chance he is floating you here. This means if he is over valuing a T against you, he is far more likely to check back. In that case if he does check back the turn), you'd have some "room" to bet/fold the river if he jams after playing his ace "tricky", and your turn check could get you river calls by Ts a bit more often as well.

As played though, I cannot really see any reason to bet the river, as your opponent is never folding an Ace here and he is probably going to have to accept a T is no good if you fire 3 barrels.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Wed Apr 04, 2012 at 07:00 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com