Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL25 J9o turn bet for thin value and river call?

Old
NL25 J9o turn bet for thin value and river call? - Wed Apr 04, 2012, 07:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
[converted_hand][hand_history]Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $25.90 (103.6 bb)
SB: $26.42 (105.7 bb)
BB: $25 (100 bb)
MP: $25.65 (102.6 bb)
CO: $7.94 (31.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with J:diamond: 9:club:
MP folds, CO calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1, 2 folds, CO calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.35) 2:spade: 7:spade: 9:diamond: (2 players)
CO checks, Hero bets $1.75, CO calls $1.75

Turn: ($5.85) T:diamond: (2 players)
CO checks, Hero checks

River: ($5.85) 8:spade: (2 players)
CO bets $3, Hero calls $3

Villain's stats: VPIP:31 PFR:6 AF:2,5 H:73

The turn is not a very good card, but he could call my flop bet with a flush draw. So a thin value bet is good on the turn? As played what is the correct play on the river?

Old
Wed Apr 04, 2012, 09:51 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hi Nocco88,

since villain in this hand seems to be a recreational player with such a short stack I would probably oftentimes fold J9o OTB, maybe start with J9s+.

I think that you can comfortably ship the turn for value and expect to get called by worse fairly often. That turncard does improve some hands to straights/2pair/Tx, but it also improves the worse hands in his range (e.b. 98, 78, J7, 88, picked up diamonds etc.) and he can still have a lot of spade flushdraws with or without pairs.

As played I think that calling is absolutely fine since he can be betting worse 2 pairs and 6x/Jx besides spades and QJ.

Live Trainer

Old
Wed Apr 04, 2012, 02:32 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
I think your best play is to fold preflop..

There are NO implied odds playing this hand vs this guy...

Your hand is weak and the opponent is shortstacked.
Indicating that he is a noob, even more shown now he limps the CO, and his stats.

Your hand is not strong enough to isolate. he will call anyway and because he is so shortstack and noob you have to get ready to put all the money in, when you hit a flop like this.

Flops won´t get any better with J9o except when you hit 2 pair or straigth

next to that you hit probably the second nuts and you don´t put your opponent all in because you are afraid to lose to a flush... what will you lose extra ? like 4 dollars? there are plenty of hands that call you since he is just a noob!!!!

you show weakness on the turn and hit a strong hand on the river and just call...

I´d suggest you play for a little less money and think you hands a bit more thoroughly. Because the other hand examples you posted shows that you are not yet a very capable hand reader and therefore this limit can be very costly to you

Last edited by Sjekkkk; Wed Apr 04, 2012 at 02:37 PM..

Old
Wed Apr 04, 2012, 05:18 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
Fold pre... To short a stack.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com