Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Baffled by this call

Old
Baffled by this call - Thu Apr 05, 2012, 06:14 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

just didnt understand this call with 10-6s, now i dont think i did anything wrong, considering, i would be behind with poket aces, which he had, but other 1 wow nc, and he came to win actually

Old
Thu Apr 05, 2012, 06:22 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
He had only 700 and probably saw himself as short stacked and was just hoping he had live cards. OR he's just a calling station who liked his soooted hand.

Old
Thu Apr 05, 2012, 08:05 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
*** Moved ***

Aces v Kings all-in preflop standard enough and like Iron Clad said the short stack might be a calling station or might not just have his head in the game and decided just to hit or miss....

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 05, 2012, 08:07 AM
(#4)
i relize that but not to complain, but it was only a 10 cent turbo but y thats all and how do u beat them, if u trying to improve u cant on thesse donkeys, if i lost to the AA, np and i figured i was behind but, just hard to fold the cowboys with this hand

Old
Thu Apr 05, 2012, 08:16 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaturePlayr View Post
i relize that but not to complain, but it was only a 10 cent turbo but y thats all and how do u beat them, if u trying to improve u cant on thesse donkeys, if i lost to the AA, np and i figured i was behind but, just hard to fold the cowboys with this hand

ok i just relooked, i raised 3 times big blind, AA all in, which i understand, but with 10=6, is it priced then right for him to donkey this call, BTW i wouldnt of been pissed to lose here to the aces, just baffled by his call

Old
Thu Apr 05, 2012, 10:39 AM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
No doubt the guy just lost interest in the 10cent game and decided to try and get lucky or get knocked out. There no sense to be made of it from a poker perspective. Hey may have just thought his time could be better spent elsewhere.... or maybe he was drunk or something lol.

By the way, the key your looking for is ? when asking questions.

Old
Thu Apr 05, 2012, 10:40 AM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi AmaturePlayr!

Early in ANY tourney there will be maniacs out there, regardless of the tourney type or buy-in level, with more of them usually in the lower buy-ins.

Preflop, I would make a standard raise wtih KK. This would be a raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper (2 in this hand), so to 5BB or 200. With a premium hand, I don't want to be raising less and inviting players with Ax to stay in the hand and possibly draw out on me.
Early in tourneys, there are many, many players that will play any ace or any 2 suited cards.... two of the notes that I routinely make on players. This way, if I for example, see a player that always plays Ax in a pot with me and an A hits, I can get away from KK.

When 2 players shove over my raise, with KK, here's where the type of tourney comes into play. In a cash tourney, I'm calling it and hoping that I don't run into AA (most likely, the opps have a smaller pair or Ax and if it's Ax, I hope both of them have an ace, so there are less outs they are drawing to). However, if this was a league game, then I'm mucking KK here, as the penalty for an early exit does is not outweighed by the chips that I'd gain.

Whenever I see a maniac at the table, I don't try to go thru their thought process for why they call or shove... because they don't have one. I'd definitely be making a note on this player though, for when I see them in a future tournament.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 06, 2012, 05:47 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I think if you had paid attention to the few hands before this, you probably would have your answer. Some of these guys like to just get in there and gamble with a super wide range. How did he get so short so quick?

Also, you can't fold kings preflop when your stack is that shallow. There are spots and certain players where you can, but this isn't close. (The person who hasn't raised a hand in 4 days cold-4-betting is). He can have so many smaller pairs, hands like AQ, etc.

Quote:
However, if this was a league game, then I'm mucking KK here, as the penalty for an early exit does is not outweighed by the chips that I'd gain.
He has the caller WAY covered. Also, yes it is. You have a very good shot at about 4500 chips. This is huge in league play. I would never fold KK in this spot unless it was very close to the payouts in a satellite/league game.

Old
Sat Apr 07, 2012, 03:15 AM
(#9)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaturePlayr View Post
and how do u beat them
By continuing to get their stacks all in as huge underdogs? Sometimes 17% hands win. You're not beating this guy, he's beating himself. Just keep taking advantage of the mistakes.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 07, 2012, 09:21 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
By continuing to get their stacks all in as huge underdogs? Sometimes 17% hands win. You're not beating this guy, he's beating himself. Just keep taking advantage of the mistakes.

thanks, as far as legues, in open skill, between 21 and two thousand, u only win between 10 dollars to 2.50, if above ya more, so my point is maniacs always play in leagues, and in my Opinion, the open skill needs to be revamped, where points are based on every 1000, cause once u hit a good chip stack they sit out, till end, so maybe a penalty also for sitting out,

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com