Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Starting Bank Roll for $3.50 45 mans??

Old
Starting Bank Roll for $3.50 45 mans?? - Sat Apr 07, 2012, 06:46 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
Can any1 fill me in as to what they think a correct bankroll would be to have a legit crack at these SnGs?

Would it be the standard 25 buy in's or is that not deep enough for a 45 man SnG?

Any1's opinions or comments??

Old
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 12:05 AM
(#2)
Hi I guess it depends on how you value your roll but I would suggest an absolute minimum of 30 buyins and would feel a lot more comfortable with 100 buyins

Somewhere inbetween 30 and 100 would be reasonable

I realsie the numbers may seem high but the variance can be a nightmare some months

And if you feel you are better than these games then you wll soon win and move up without taking the risk

If you do choose 30 buyins always remember to protect your roll if results do not go your way by moving down limits but hoping you move up

Hope I helped a little (I havent played that high but its the same principle @ most levels I guess

rolo..Im assuming their not turbo as I find the variance a lot higher

Last edited by rolo834; Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 12:09 AM..

Old
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 12:39 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Briany!

I err on the safe side, so I want to have 75-100 buy-in's for a level.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 04:32 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
If it's only an ocasional game then there's no harm taking a shot or two but if you plan only to play these and/ or multi table then I would agree with JWK.

Edit: assuming you have enough of a buy in to take 2 or 3 hits should you lose.

Old
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 06:18 AM
(#5)
Hi guys, thanx for your replys. I was asking because i have been trying alot more Multi table SnG games the last week or so, played a few different formats to see what i preferred and what i could play successfully..

I tried out the $2.50 90 mans and the $3.50 45 mans mainly, all regular speed as it suits my game alot better, much rather a slower format. I will be concentrating on them alot more over the coming weeks and months i think.
I was mainly an MTT player, large fields, but have been noticing my results get alot better in smaller fields, im guessing less variance has alot to do with it, so i think im going to go on a SnG bender the next little while, see if it cant grow my Roll a touch.
I do multi table a little, mainly only just 2 tables, sometimes bringing in a 3rd table, but at the minute i feel comfortable with 2 tables so i will stick to that..

Im not to sure how this is guna go for me, for example: Over the past couple of days i have played

31 x $3.50 45 mans finishing ITM 6 times.

1 x 7th
1 x 5th
3 x 4th
1 x 2nd

This resulting in a total loss of around $5..

28 x $2.50 90 mans finishing ITM only 3 times.

1 x 9th
2 x 2nd

This resulting in a total profit of about $12

I probably will start a thread on this over the coming days, my SnG Bender, lol...

I guess the point of this thread was figuring out at what level to start at, im still none the wiser, so any more feedback? My BRoll is currently hovering just over $200, so any suggestions? What route would you guys take?

Old
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 01:08 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Briany!

That's a pretty small sample size. Sooner or later you're going to be seeing variance runs and that's what will hurt a bankroll. In the 45 or 90 man tourneys, I've had variance streaks of 20 or even 30 games where I didn't cash in that many in a row due to a great number of reasons. I want to make sure that my bankroll can withstand streaks like this.

At $200, I'd be playing $2.20 mtt's (my specialty is mtt's), or $1.50 to $3.50 sng's (and mix them so my avg buy-in was in the $2.00 to $2.50 range.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 03:47 PM
(#7)
imo that's a good enough balance to play 5 games and take it from there.

Old
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 05:10 PM
(#8)
@John

I get what your saying about the variance swings, my Broll should and definitely will have to be large enough to cater for a bad spell at the tables.
As for the extremely small sample size, i only posted that as an example as to how the start of this was going for me.
When i say the start, i mean i have probably played more SnGs the last 10 days than i did in the whole of the last 12 months..
Thanx for your feedback, its appreciated loads

@Ovalman

I'm a little confused about your post bud, "a good enough balance to play 5 games", ok, but which 5 games are you meaning pal?

Thanx

Brian

Old
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 05:29 PM
(#9)
You have a balance where you can take a shot at 5 more games. Obviously if you lose all 5 then you'd have to re-evaluate but if you get one decent place then it will pay for a lot more games at this level.

Bankroll can be too restrictive at times but you know your own abilities, if you're confident and not playing with scared money then go for it.

I've played the Sunday Storm a few times yet I'm not bankrolled to play it every week, my balance is -$55 but I know that by taking the odd shot I'll get the result I need some week. I know I'm a profitable player and will build any losses incurred by playing it.

Old
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 07:07 PM
(#10)
If you have a "fixed" bankroll and you don't intend to make additional deposits then ultraconservative is the way to go.

But if you are more recreational player who can afford to take shots with disposable income then you can finance special games that way. Play very conservative with your regular 'roll but take a few shots every now and then with extra cash.

I played that way for years and took some of my winnings on shots for splurges for me or the Mrs.

Old
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 09:42 PM
(#11)
I agree with JWK bankroll recommendations

I would play the games you are most profitable @ its a fun game but at the end of the day its more fun when you win/make a profit

How did the $2.50 for 90 playout compared to 45man@$1 ? as Im planning on moving up soon after a family funeral and then a short break(holiday)

rolo

Old
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 06:37 AM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
You have a balance where you can take a shot at 5 more games. Obviously if you lose all 5 then you'd have to re-evaluate but if you get one decent place then it will pay for a lot more games at this level.

Bankroll can be too restrictive at times but you know your own abilities, if you're confident and not playing with scared money then go for it.

I've played the Sunday Storm a few times yet I'm not bankrolled to play it every week, my balance is -$55 but I know that by taking the odd shot I'll get the result I need some week. I know I'm a profitable player and will build any losses incurred by playing it.
I see what you are saying Oval, i agree with you totally, BRoll can be very restrictive at times, i am the King at blowing a Roll Oval, lol. its trying to stay clear of them bad habits i am, if u get what i mean.
I recently played in the Big 55 with only $80 in my account, lol, binked 92nd place though so it was all good for over $200, Final Tabled an $8 capped MTT recently as well with only cents left in my account. Absolutely NO BRM at all going on there, i'm trying to FIX that LEAK in my game because being honest i think it is a leak, blowing hard earned dollars in a spasim..

Its never scared money because i am in a position where i can afford to re load if needs be, but being honest i don't want to re load no more because i dont think i should need to, i think i am capable enough of growing my Micro Roll to a respectable place.

Old
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 06:45 AM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo834 View Post
I agree with JWK bankroll recommendations

I would play the games you are most profitable @ its a fun game but at the end of the day its more fun when you win/make a profit

How did the $2.50 for 90 playout compared to 45man@$1 ? as Im planning on moving up soon after a family funeral and then a short break(holiday)

rolo
The $2.50 90man for starters will take anywhere between 3 to 4 hours to complete, twice the field as a 45man and you also get longer levels, 15mins, not 10mins like the 45mans.

Top 12 get payed compared to the top 7, the bubble in both of these SnGs i find takes ages to burst when you are down near it, most people get really nitty, so my advice is try take advantage of the dead money, only the chip leaders will want to fight back, but that can also get you in alot of hurt as i no, i was bubble boy in a couple of these in the last few weeks, a little to aggressive on the bubble, cost me, painful at the tym, lol..

Best of luck Rolo, GL pal

Old
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 08:19 PM
(#14)
Hi Briany

Oh very interesting i knew how long they could last but didnt knowabout the 15 minute leevls(this may suit my game in the early stages better) I hope

I wa skind of asking what the standard of opposition is though in the $2.50 compared to the $1 ?...its a 2.5 tiems jump so are the players 2.5 times better?

Yeah being the bubble boy after 4 hours doesnt sound very appealing

If all goes well@$2.50 I may not play them for long and may move back to the 45man(@a higher buyin) will have to have a taste before deciding

I would build up slowly(okay can take shots)..but once you win at the supposedly easier low buyins(and if your good you will do that) youwill soon be playing higher

For me right now it s a slow process as I know I have a lot to learn

gl2u2

Old
Thu Apr 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
(#15)
Since: Jan 2012
I recommend that you play the $3.50 with at least 100 buy-ins. If you lose say 25 buy-ins, drop down to the $1 45 man sngs. This should still leave you with over 250 buy-ins for this level. Then simply grind back up to $350 and then have another go at the $3.50.

I play the 0.25 45 man sngs. These games are full of crazy donks and bingo playing fish, but I once still managed to non-cash for 28 consecutive games. But I have a descent roi for these games. So you see, even for a winner at the 45 man sngs, you still need 100 buy-ins for a particular level. Or 200 buy-ins if you don't want to move back down if you hit a variance swing. Although to be fair, 100 buy-ins is quite safe if you are a winner. But sometimes the unthinkable can happen...so it is probably a good idea to drop down if you do hit a 25+ down-swing.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com