Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

Rated poker

Old
Rated poker - Sat Apr 07, 2012, 06:46 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
Not a support question, but not quite sure where to post this.

Something I've been pondering for a while and wonder what people would think of:

If we had a poker site, or even just rooms and tourney on 'stars, where players would have to display their "rating", as in online chess... would you want to play on it?

You know, in online chess, you go up against a player with an 1800 rating, you expect him to play a bit different from one with a 1600 - or 2200 - rating. Chess of course ;)
On most sites you can also choose the ranges you want to play against.

So if we had a "rated" site - or area - where the player's rating, calculated to something like the ranking sites' formulas, is displayed in games for all to see... would you play there? Or give it a try?

Is the idea absurd ?

Old
Sat Apr 07, 2012, 06:56 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
Is the idea absurd ?

Yes......
Good players want to play the bad players (donkeys and fish)

Old
Sat Apr 07, 2012, 07:10 PM
(#3)
The point being that if you display a high rating no-one will play you?

Not too sure about that.

Old
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 04:35 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
Why would you want to play players with a similar standard or better than you?

I swim with the fishies for the very reason I know I'm one of the best. I don't want to be eaten by sharks or struggle with players of a similar standard.

Old
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 06:32 AM
(#5)
But then it would be easier to spot the fish if they displayed a rating, wouldn't it.

And maybe they would play against your high rating for the simple reason that they are fish.

Also, I personally would rather play against mid-range players rather that constantly have to play bingo against lucky all-in no-range donks.

I still don't see any overwhelming reason why it couldn't be tried - to see what actually happened in a live environment.

Old
Sun Apr 08, 2012, 07:03 AM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
One reason why I don't show my VIP status (I'm only bronze star but should hit silver this month) is I can use your status as a tell on the tables. Someone with a gold star or higher playing $1.50 or $3.50 games that I frequent is either a multi tabling reg or a massive donk who has blown his bankroll taking a shot at stakes he shouldn't be at. As I'm a reg on these, I know who my fellow regs are, very few slip through my net as I usually keep an eye on the lobby to see who's registering in what games.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com