Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Did I play this correctly?

Old
Did I play this correctly? - Mon Apr 09, 2012, 12:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2010
This hand has been bugging me since it happened.
I'm very inexperienced in MTTs.
This hand came up earlyish in last nights Sunday Storm.
The villian was 22/9 over 46 hands and had 3 bet 4 times from middle position.

It was still pretty early in tournament and I did not want to reraise him and have half my stack in the middle preflop and run into AA or KK.
Was calling a good option?
If the flop was all low and he bet after I would have checked on a flop without a queen then what?

Did I play this correctly or was it bad play folding preflop on my part?

Last edited by jysteruk; Mon Apr 09, 2012 at 12:15 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 12:17 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
A lot of what I do will depend on any notes or stats I have on villian but I'm calling there to set mine. If you're prepared to reraise then I think you've also got to be prepared to shove. You're also last to act so there's no-one behind you to decrease your odds should they call. You're bet sizing is at the marginal lower end of what I'm re-raising but I still think it's an OK amount.

Old
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 12:48 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi jysteruk!

With a raise and 2 calls in front of me, I'm definitely going to 3-bet with QQ, especially being out of position, as I want to try and thin the field some. QQ plays much better against a lower number of opps and early in a tourney, I don't want players staying with Ax or Kxs to be able to have a cheap draw to beat me. The original raiser now 4-bets and the two caller drop.

Now, I'm looking for info and reads on the opp. The opp had already 3-bet four times from mid position (almost 10% of the hands in history the opp 3-bets) and 4-bets here.
Holding QQ, I'm only behind AA or KK and am ahead in a flip with AK. Since the opp is continually raising, their range should be much larger than this.

QQ vs a top 10% hand has 64.4% equity and to shove over the opp costs me 4655 into a pot that will be 10928 (42.6%). My hand has much more equity than what I will have to invest into the pot, so shoving is a +EV play even if I get called everytime. It will even be ahigher +EV play if the opp folds a portion of the time, where I will gain almost 50% to my stack without a fight.

Due to this, I'm going to 5-bet shove with QQ here.

This is also a great example of where bankroll management comes into play, as I want to be making this shove here without worrying about losing (which will happen about 1/3 of the time), but when I win the hand, I'm now set up for a good run in the tourney..... maybe even having enough chips to get ITM just from this one hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 01:08 PM
(#4)
I don't know how I missed your info on his stats and why I posted about notes and stats being important.... I think I need reading glasses

As a question John, is a set mine not a good play in this spot?

I set mine a lot in a STT as tournament survival is a main part of cashing in them, ie. you get nothing for 4th in a STT so I try and make the cash first and then push for 1st. It's a good STT strategy as you avoid coinflips when the blinds are low. I'm pushing/ reraising every time with QQ when the field thins and/ or the blinds are high but is a limp a bad play in a MTT in this situation when you have no stats on your opponent?

Old
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 01:28 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post

As a question John, is a set mine not a good play in this spot?

I set mine a lot in a STT as tournament survival is a main part of cashing in them, ie. you get nothing for 4th in a STT so I try and make the cash first and then push for 1st. It's a good STT strategy as you avoid coinflips when the blinds are low. I'm pushing/ reraising every time with QQ when the field thins and/ or the blinds are high but is a limp a bad play in a MTT in this situation when you have no stats on your opponent?
Hi Ovalman!

I try to setmine with lower/mid pairs, not with premium pairs. I want to be betting the premiums for value and not to setmine due to the fact that I don't want others drawing to beat me when I'm most likely currently ahead.
With a lower pair, I'm not going to be a favorite in the hand, so that's where I want to setmine... and only want to setmine on a large stack, to get the correct odds to do so.
Limping in a large MTT with a premium pair is going to get a player into trouble too high of a % of the time as if I allow more opps to draw at me, someone could easily hit something that can then be ahead of me.
I don't want to just be auto-shoving premium hands, but I do want to value bet/raise with them.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 02:00 PM
(#6)
As I said on my blog, I don't mind inputting something against the grain into a thread and learning from any replies.

I'm comparing STT's (in which I think I'm OK) to MTT's (where I've yet to win one on Stars). AA and KK I'm raising/ shoving/ calling 99% of the time but QQ I like to mix up. Against any random A you're only 70/30 and against AK you're a coinflip. It sort of makes sense not to be flipping pre flop early in a STT as you're money isn't made until it becomes 3 handed and I commentated on the hand from a STT perspective.

I didn't take into account the stats the O/P gave but I can see where you're coming from. While I've been value betting before I'm sort of only coming to terms with it's meaning.

I've still a helluva lot to learn.

Old
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 02:06 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post

I've still got a helluva lot to learn.
That's exactly what I said to myself when I first found PSO. The key is to keep learning and getting better and better every day.

If the opp here was a total nit, then I would consider laying down QQ here, but 3-betting 10% of the time, QQ plays well against all but 3 hands in their range.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 02:54 PM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2010
Ta for the evaluation.
As said I have very little MTT experience behind me.

In a STT I would probably shove here.
I try not to set mine in STTs as I think you are only 8-1 to hit your set and if you keep doing it you will find yourself short on chips with little leverage for the middle stages of the tournament.
If I do try to set mine I want to be in late position and the blinds to be very low.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com