Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Messing with half stacks...

Old
Messing with half stacks... - Mon Apr 09, 2012, 12:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
I do not usually call here simply because of th fact that unless I have a v good hand I tend to leave small stack alone as they might be playing the 'short stack strategy'

I have position and a hand which is not super but has potenial though do I have to call here or? I think you need an opponent to have a bigger stack the have the odds to play a hand like this or am I wrong? Please instruct.

I would have flopped the 2nd nuts!

Etienne

Old
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 02:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Etienne,

If the short stack opener is playing a tight range, this is an easy fold vs his stack size. You don't have position, you're out of position post flop and QJ does not play well vs. a tight opener's range... you'll basically be forced to commit if you hit your most likely way to connect with the flop, 1 pair, but will often still be trailing in the hand when that happens. If the villains are opening loose then calling is fine as you can much more comfortably commit post when you hit a Q or J.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com