Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

16NL shove or fold

Old
16NL shove or fold - Mon Apr 09, 2012, 04:20 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Hi Guys,

Did i overplay my AK here? I had hardly any stats on the guy and he limped EP
As i had 2 blockers i think AA,KK was minimized that he could have that.
Range could be, AK,QQ maybe JJ AQ lower pockets but thats just a guess without knowing him.
AK,QQ,JJ gives 53% against my 46%

Should I fold?

Ferdy

Old
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 05:41 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
i'm all for raisin' a early limper w/ AKo, but when a basically unknown jams 62ish bb in my face pre i gotta think i'm racin' at best for $10. not really my idea of a good time. :-) i'd have to cut it loose at that point. if it were say in the 20ish bb or less range then it's a go for me.
may the tinfoil protect you.
ps your title should be fold or call it off

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Last edited by mtnestegg; Mon Apr 09, 2012 at 06:28 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 09, 2012, 08:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi feydr.

In my experience, this sort of line by an EP player is usually a reasonably strong middle pp (JJ thru 99), because those are the sorts of hands people think are a bit too strong to fold, a bit too WEAK to raise pre, but hands they tend to convince themselves are "best" because they always like to assume a raiser is on un-paired overs.

Given the money you have to call vs what you might win, you need to have around 46.7% equity to break even ($9.95 to cal and possibly win around $11, 1.14 to 1 odds).

Given that you have no real solid info on the opponent, you probably have to think that he is weighting his range toward pocket pairs.

Your 2 blockers to AA/KK do matter, so I'd not immediately suspect he was so strong or so "tricky" in his play style to limp/shove AA/KK, although he could be...

If we remove the smallest pp and largest pp from his range, and include just hands QQ to 77, you have around 44% equity. This is not the price you NEED, but it is close.

I think you CAN fold here, but even the inclusion of AK/AQ in a limp/shove range would give you the equity to call this big over bet. My personal opinion is that without info, I'd really not want to run the risk of a big stack hit like this if my opponent IS a very "tricky" type who might do this with AA/KK though, and I'd probably fold...

But I'd hardly call your CALL with AKo a huge "mistake".

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 02:01 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
Thanks guys,

I was not quite sure! I have no problem bringing it all in and as seen i lose some money with AK's so i might overplay it sometimes.

i better not ask what a tinfoil hat is

Regards,
Ferdy

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com