Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 6-max: Did i play KK good here?

Old
10NL 6-max: Did i play KK good here? - Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:50 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
The villian in this hand had stats of 16/10 with a 3-bet of 12,5% (63 hands). He had an aggro factor of 0,50 and went to showdown 50% of the time (winning none at showdown)

I figuered since he was OOP he wouldn't slowplay AA here. I thought that he would mostly play JJ, QQ or AK. JJ or QQ would probably call my shove on the flop or get scared by cards that would come on the turn (ace, king or diamond) and AK would only call once it has me beat (unless the last king would come).

Anyway, i ended up sucking out on this guy but i want to know wether or not i took the right line. Should i have checked back the flop or bet smaller perhaps?

Old
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 08:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2010
Dear magiciantom,
I would like to share my opinion, for what i saw.
With the stats you provide us the villain is a quiet tight player.
I will break down my thought process in this situation as I believe you over played KK.

Preflop
You open raise your KK and you got re raised and you decided to 4 bet the villain which is where I believe the first problem come in to play. Your opponent is 3 betting you out of position, and will dispute the hand up to the river out of position with you, therefore when he 3 bet you should reconsider his range, he could well have there QQ,AA, AQ, AK. JJ will be in his bottom range to 3 bet, let’s consider that you ranging him with AK or AQ, what’s our equity? We are a 3.1 favourite pre flop lets imagine he holds the Ace of spades we still best like 4.1 post flop he only has the back door flush draw, definitely, betting for value, but when you get called on the flop, what kind of hands could calls on the flop? We need to reassess the course of action here is a wet board and a drawing board, you decided to lead out and over bet the pot, and he flat calls you, at this stage I will be inclined to think he has a very big hand, but which one? He could have AQ of spades in his hand or pocket 77 which gives him a set, let’s see if he holds AQ of spades we are at the best flipping our stack, is almost a 50/50 situation, besides that he holds an Ace which can beat you on the turn or river; if he holds pocket 77 you are a 4.1 dog, not a good spot, but you still have the back door flush if you facing a set which give you 10 outs, however he can beat you if the board pairs up so he still have plenty of outs to beat you, however pocket 77 will be unlikely as he 3 bet your opining out of position, so leave us with 4 hands AA, QQ, AK, AQ. As soon as he checks the 3 spade his concerned about it therefore we can eliminate that from his range and so any other Ax combination from his range holding the Ace of spades, so QQ or AA or even KK. I think you over played the flop with a full pot size bet leaving you no room if he shoves the turn, what to do , you couldn’t fold there anymore, then you will be in a though spot.
I would play this Hand in a different fashion.
Preflop we could 4 bet since you have position on the villain, however i would only flat there and see a flop in position, jsut imagine if the flop cames and Ace what to do? In the flop I would c-bet ¾ of the pot, if get call plan to check the turn not to bloat the pot too much, if the villain check to me the turn I would definitely raise for value there to be able to check call or raise the river and not playing a pot out of control.

By the turn you had less than a pot size bet, even if you go all-in you giving him good odds to call you.

Dr.Kauffer

Old
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 08:53 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
Not that I am saying your over analyzing the situation way too much above poster^^ but instead of 4 betting you should of just shoved. Sure he is a tight player but if you can't get it all in with KK preflop without too much hassle your way too tight. Sure he might have aces but 80% of the time your going to be ahead or just trying to miss an A.

Real talk.

Old
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 09:15 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
I think you played the hand perfect with an spr of 1 your not folding any flop unless an ace hit and your 100% sure hes got one and still i wouldn't fold. Was a cooler and you sucked out, the only shock in the hand for me was him not 5 bet jamming but maybe he felt by 5 betting he was basically saying ive got aces and didnt want to scare you, either way is a mistake on his part in case you have ak and dont put another chip in the pot.

Old
Tue Apr 10, 2012, 09:30 PM
(#5)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiciantom View Post
The villian in this hand had stats of 16/10 with a 3-bet of 12,5% (63 hands). He had an aggro factor of 0,50 and went to showdown 50% of the time (winning none at showdown)

I figuered since he was OOP he wouldn't slowplay AA here. I thought that he would mostly play JJ, QQ or AK. JJ or QQ would probably call my shove on the flop or get scared by cards that would come on the turn (ace, king or diamond) and AK would only call once it has me beat (unless the last king would come).

Anyway, i ended up sucking out on this guy but i want to know wether or not i took the right line. Should i have checked back the flop or bet smaller perhaps?
Hi Tom. I'm with Winroar here. I would have shoved his 3 bet pre flop and put him all-in. You can't worry that a tight player has the nuts everytime he raises. Villian could easily have AK, 10's+ (dependent on your table image). More to the point IMO the villian should have shoved to your 4 bet! All the best.

Old
Wed Apr 11, 2012, 02:20 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2011
I think you played it fine here..This is the best spot to get the money in preflop for both players actually...I like the post flop play as well..You should not be scared of the flop here..even though it is wet ..the villain wont have suited connectors fitting there.also it is more likely he would flat your UG raise preflop and not 3bet with 55,66or 77..(even more if u have a tight image)..You are never folding KK in this situation..

Old
Wed Apr 11, 2012, 02:32 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hi magiciantom,

I think you played the hand just fine except for some technical betsizing aspects. Money will go into spots like these every single time anyway, the only thing you should be worried about is to keep your opponent's range as wide as possible by not 4-betting to high preflop and cbetting too large OTF.

With such high sizings you could potentially kill yourself action from some weaker hands (he might consider folding JJ/QQ/AK preflop, or AK OTF for instance).

I generally 4-bet to a size that looks non-committing and is not much more than the minimum amount when 100bb deep effectively and in position. OTF I generally bet only 1/3rd to 1/2 of the pot since there is already so much money in there anyway. This way I leave it up to villain to still make incorrect calls or shoves both as a bluff or for value.

Live Trainer

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com