Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Micro cash game grind and goals for the rest of 2012.

Old
Micro cash game grind and goals for the rest of 2012. - Fri Apr 13, 2012, 12:40 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
So the last few days I have read a few threads on personal challenges, mainly 2NL cash game grinds and since I am also doing this I thought I would create my own thread. I thought i would start out with my personal goals for the year as fellow PSO'er Sandtrap recently helped my a great deal in defining these so here goes...

My main goal is to be playing 10NL and have a sufficient bankroll for this level not just be taking a shot. To help achieve this goal I will be playing 12 hours of 6-max cash games per week and trying to play a minimum of 3200 hands per month, this is the minimum and if time and other commitments allow for it I will play more.

On the whole I will only be single tabling as I want to improve my all round game and not just get in as much volume as I can, however when I feel comfortable playing at a certain level I will add tables but when I am taking a shot at another level I will return to single tabling to concentrate on my game. I will look at taking shots when I feel that I am ready and not just because my bankroll permits me to do so. When taking I will be taking a somewhat unconventional 5 stack shot.

I will also be aiming to improve my MTT game in 2012. To help me achieve this I will be setting aside time to play at least 4 UKIPT division 2 games per week, with a long term goal of finishing in the top 10 of the division (at least once) by the end of the year. I will eventually look at adding 1-2 MTT’s into my weekly schedule.

As a reward for completing monthly goals I will attempt to satellite into a larger MTT such as the Sunday storm using FFP’s accumulated over the month. If I do not achieve my hand count target for the month or am not on target for other goals then I will not attempt to satellite in.

Alongside this I will put in 3 hours of study per week, having one hour to review all hands that I lost more than 25BB on and to see why I lost what I did and how I should have played them. I will use my other study time to watch videos on PSO and attend live training session, I will also spend some of this time reading and going over notes I have made from videos and live training. At the beginning of each week I will state what video or live training I am going to be watching that week.

I will update this post once per week (every sunday) with my progress and post one or two hands from the week. So far I have been playing 2NL since 19th of March 2011 and I have turned in 7813 hands for a profit of $31.47 below is my graph since the said date and a screenshot of my stats for the hands.

I know I still have lots of improving to do and that is why i am so glad to have a resource as good as PSO at my disposal. Any comments and advice are greatly appreciated.

Good luck at the tables guys

Last edited by Croyd93; Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 05:53 PM..

Old
Fri Apr 13, 2012, 12:59 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2010
Hi Croyd93,
Gl at the tables, keep up with your challenge. good work

Old
Fri Apr 13, 2012, 02:05 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi Croyd,

Showing a nice profit there already. Good luck with your challenge!

Cheers,

TC

Old
Sat Apr 14, 2012, 01:14 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2011
SilverStar
Goodluck Croyd, nice profit already

Keep up the good work, i`ll be following your progress as i have similar goals myself!!

Ceril12

Old
Sat Apr 14, 2012, 01:57 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Nice going so far! GL on your goals!!

Old
Sat Apr 14, 2012, 05:01 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Nice Graph you crazy Aggro UK-lander!!!

Keep up the good work, periodically check your progress on ALL your goals (not just the $ ones), and don't be afraid to adjust what you feel you need to DO to hit your goals...

"Plan your work, then work your PLAN" is a good pattern for getting where you want to go, but if you do not take time to review where you are at, and what you might need to do to get where you want to go, your plan could just become some random notes on a piece of paper.

I think you'll do just fine though!

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 14, 2012, 05:58 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
Hey Croyd, GL. looks like your already doing well. Long may it continue.

Old
Sat Apr 14, 2012, 07:55 AM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
"Plan your work, then work your PLAN"
I like it!

These are some well thought-out and defined personal challenges you have set your self here Croyd 93 and I wish you every success.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 15, 2012, 04:58 AM
(#9)
SilverStar
Hey Croyd can you tell me how you inserted your graph into your thread as mine is tiny and looks shit.
Cheers

Ceril!!

Old
Sun Apr 15, 2012, 05:52 PM
(#10)
So as I had had time to play a lot the last few days I have already managed to achieve my hand target for the month. This combined with a solid hand count for last month and the fact it was the 1 year anniversary for the sunday storm meant that i decided to attempt satteliting in.

I bought into the 70ffp satty and played pretty well, i managed to take it down and win my self a seat On the whole i think i played reasonably well in the main tourney, it is the first MTT i have played that is bigger than a $1.10 buy in. I busted out in around 36000th place so didn't manage to cash but i enjoyed playing and I was happy with how i played.

This week I will be watching the langoliers 'effective note taking' video also if i get time i may re-watch the 'SPR part 2' video, but i would also like to attend flixx's wednesay night training (I will have to see how much free time i have). I plan to review my hands from last week on wednesday afternoon and post any trouble spots in the HA forum.

In other news i have decided to take a 5 stack shot at 5NL when my BR reaches $125 I am currently hovering around $110, if all goes to plan i should be taking my shot by the end of the month.

Thanks for reading guys and GL at the tables

P.s sorry for the late reply ceril, however i see that you've managed to insert a graph into your post

Old
Sun Apr 15, 2012, 06:22 PM
(#11)
SilverStar
Quote:
P.s sorry for the late reply ceril, however i see that you've managed to insert a graph into your post
Yep no bother Croyd, cheers anyway

Old
Sun Apr 15, 2012, 07:51 PM
(#12)
Played in the 6 max vs Full ring $50 added tourney tonight, managed to bink 3rd place for $10 which was a nice add on to my BR so now i am only $5 from taking my 5NL shot maybe it will come sooner than first thought

P.s good game to everyone who played in the tourney

Old
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 06:00 AM
(#13)
Well last week was my first week back at university and as expected it's taking some time to adjust to the early mornings; also the increase workload due to the exam period creeping up on me is not helping with my poker game, but what you gunna do.

So anyway the week seems to have somewhat dragged, and my profit is dragging too taking a slight downwards move this week. I partly put this down to being back at uni and not having as much time to play so i end up playing when I'm tired and really shouldn't be but also to a lot of bad play on my part. My updated graph is below.

By late night tuesday last week i realised that my slip in profit was due to me playing fairly badly so i decided to take a look at some hands from the previous 2 days i realised that i was c-betting way too often. I therefore decided to watch the langoliers c-betting video instead of the effective note taking one that i had planned to watch originally. I also managed to attend flixx's live training wednesday night and as of this i have decided to open up my starting standards a bit more from late position hopefully with a bit of work this will make my game more profitable.

This week my main aim is to get more sleep as playing tired is a recipe for disaster, also i'm going to play a little less this week and spend more time reviewing my hands and stats as i have nearly hit the 10000 hand mark so have a fairly decent sample size to do some reviewing. I also intend to re-watch the two SPR videos as part of the work for the skype study group, and also attend flixx's live training. I may also attend Horror's HU for beggineres live training tonight if i get time. So yeah the onus is more on learning this week than playing but how am I going to improve if i don't

GL to you all at the table and may this week be the most profitable yet

Old
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 08:46 AM
(#14)
Since: Oct 2011
Good Luck Oli always routing for ya!

Old
Sun May 06, 2012, 08:19 PM
(#15)
The last 2 weeks have been somewhat hectic I haven't found much time for poker and I have often been playing just to 'play' which often isn't the best reason. On top of this my exams start very soon and continue until the end of the month and I have thus decided to take a break from playing until june.

I think this break will be at a good for my game as I have recently hit a drop in my profits, I am putting this down to both bad play and run bad, so hopefully when I do return in june i will be revitalised and be back to playing my A game. During this break i will still try attend some live training sessions and watch at least one video a week as well as attending the saturday skype group. I will still be around the forums during this break but i wish you all the best of luck at the tables.

(New looking graph for HEM2 cool )

Thanks for reading

Croyd

Old
Tue Jun 05, 2012, 08:21 AM
(#16)
After a month off for exams I'm finally back! Oh how I missed poker. I originally set out to watch a training video each week and stay involved in the skype group; however I didn't really think this through. I forgot that exams literally take over your life. Although exams were tough, a month off has definately helped me so maybe they were a blessing in disguise.

Since returning to the tables (yesterday) I feel more of a hunger for playing that I was missing a month ago. Last month I had hit a bit of run bad and it was definately affecting my play, I just wasn't playing how I knew I could. I was making bad decisions and I found sometimes I didn't even want to play, but instead just played for the sake of it. So if you're on some run bad don't be afraid to have a week or two off it definately helped me!

Also I now have to do some major reassesing of my goals as I missed a lot of playing time. Also I will be having another month off soon as I am travelling around europe over summer. I am going to take this into account along with other things and reassess my goals for the year.

I started the month with a nice winning session...
Hands: 424
Net won: $2.16
BB/100 7.36

Nice to do after all the losing sessions I had last month.

All the best at the tables guys and thanks for reading

Croyd

Old
Tue Jun 05, 2012, 05:56 PM
(#17)
WOW! Dropped around $16 today. Bit unsure what to do with myself....

So after posting this afternoon I hit the tables and things were going pretty well, I decided to play some 5nl this was probably were the problems started (as i usually play 2nl) but to begin with I felt i was doing okay. I then played one hand unbelievably bad, every draw hit the river and I called some guys all in with top 2. However this didn't tilt me, I typed 'nh' into the chat box and even had a short convo with the guy he even said 'i lucked out' for hitting his draw and i took it all in my stride I played bad and he got a bit lucky.

The next big loss was the biggest of the day I had pocket jacks and a player I can only describe as erratic. His bet sizing varied and he showed down all sorts of wierd hands however he was not your usual fish that plays 60+ vpip, but instead was running 25/17 (over 60 hands). I hadn't seen him 4-bet too much (can't find exact stats) so maybe i should've played it different.

There were several other hand occurrences like these that occurred through the day were i lost and was unsure about my play, along with one or two bad beats to further compound my losses. However I'm very pleased to say that I didn't go on bjunkie tilt at any point; i probably wasn't on my A game but in previous months i may have tilted my entire roll off so I have some positives for the day. Anyway I am going to post a few trouble hands from today in the HA forum so if anyone would mind taking a look and passing a comment it'll be greatly appreciated.

Also I'd appreciate any advice as to what to do next, I was thinking of spending the next few days watching videos and attending training as I think a big problem may be my all round game is rusty.

Thanks for reading guys and please pass a commetn or two as i'm a bit unsure where to go from here i still want to play as much as this morning but don't want to be losing a lot of my roll doing so.

good luck at the tables

Croyd

Last edited by Croyd93; Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 06:28 PM..

Old
Fri Jun 15, 2012, 11:32 AM
(#18)
Right time for a complete over hall of my goals, as some of you may know I took a month off from playing due to my university exams and I let my goals slip out of sight, forgetting to keep re-evaluating them. I have recently been all over the place profit wise but an overall downtrend is has taking me back to nearly my starting BR, I’m going to use this as the kick up the arse I need to fully re-evaluate my goals for the year.

Looking back I can see my goals were pretty ambitious especially considering not only did I have one month off for exams but I am also taking July off as I am going travelling. I have thus decided to be more realistic and make goals for summer (while I have lots of time) and then re-evaluate and change my goals slightly when I go back to Uni. I am going to evaluate my goals every 2 weeks and see if any adjustments need to be made I will update my progress here along with my thoughts on how my goals are going, ad any changes I will be making.

I will shortly post my goals here so thanks for reading and any comments on my goals once they’re posted would be greatly appreciated.

Old
Revised Goals - Mon Jun 18, 2012, 09:37 AM
(#19)
In reviewing and re-setting my goals I can see that I was overly ambitious when originally setting out my goals for 2012. I have thus decided to be more realistic and also focus solely on cash games (well nearly).

My main goals for the year is to build a full roll for 5nl, using a 40 stack BR system that means i have to build my roll to $200. To help me achieve this goal I will be playing at least 1000 hands per week OR 15 hours, whichever I reach first. I will only be single tabling to begin with to make sure I am playing my A game but as I get more comfortable I will add tables and adjust my goals accordingly.

During the week I will be playing about 5 day and so will be splitting my sessions up to 200 hands or 3 hours; I will also be taking regular 15-30 minute breaks every hour to keep my mind fresh and so I don't go into 'autopilot'. I will also review my sessions in holdem manager looking at any hands that I won/lost more than 20BB in. I also intend to play my session mainly late morning - early afternoon when my mind is most alert.

When I first set my goals I aimed to watch one video per week, however one watch of a video is not enough. This time I set out to watch one theory video per week but watch it at least 3 times. I also intend to watch one of flixx's live play videos to help me improve my overall play, I will make extensive notes on the videos and go over them when reviewing hands to see if I can apply the concepts to my play. Also depending on what is scheduled I may attend 1-2 live trainings if work shifts do not permit me from doing so.

Recently I have also been reading 'Easy Game' and I am currently a few chapters into 'Let there be range' I intend to read both of these books many times making notes and taking as much from them as I can. I will set aside 3 hours of reading per week.

In an attempt to make some use of my ffps I will be playing in the 10ffp $500 added tournaments once a week, this will be my only offshoot in to tournaments as I intend to mainly concentrate on cash.

Thanks for reading guys and good luck at the tables.

Croyd

Old
Mon Jun 18, 2012, 10:13 AM
(#20)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey Croyd

Hope you hit yr goals and good luck at the felt(s)

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com