Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 6Max 2 Pairs vs Draw Bet Sizing

Old
2NL 6Max 2 Pairs vs Draw Bet Sizing - Sun Apr 15, 2012, 10:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Villain Paramon was 67/20 after 50 hands limped called the raise. Loose passive.

Got into a multiway pot in position, first bet of potsize managed to eliminate other players. Also wanted to eliminate those drawing a flush or straight. I then raised his bet of 2 cents on the turn, but didn't deter him from seeing the river. 10 on the river was definitely bad for me.

I would put him on A x to start off with, definitely not A 10, if not he would have raised me in the middle. I think it was my mistake to just call the 4 cents PFR, should have raised it to eliminate competition.

How would you guys have played against this player? Bet sizing etc.

What cards would you put him on? A x or flush draw?

Old
Sun Apr 15, 2012, 11:13 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2011
Hi,
I think you played this fine..Probably you could have put an isolation raise ..depending on the opponents..The flop is a very coordinated board connecting well with their ranges..so i like the pot sized bet..The min donk(block) bet most likely indicates that the villain wants to see the river cheaply ..he could mostly have a 10 or a flush draw or AQ,AJ,etc as hes passive..So the reraise is fine here.. Sizing i think could be a little less..And it is definitely a fold on the river ..As a passive player wont get in his money without a very strong holding..Well Played IMO..

Last edited by nee0903; Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM..

Old
Sun Apr 15, 2012, 12:16 PM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nee0903 View Post
Hi,
I think you played this fine..Probably you could have put an isolation range ..depending on the opponents..The flop is a very coordinated board connecting well with their ranges..so i like the pot sized bet..The min donk(block) bet most likely indicates that the villain wants to see the river cheaply ..he could mostly have a 10 or a flush draw or AQ,AJ,etc as hes passive..So the reraise is fine here.. Sizing i think could be a little less..And it is definitely a fold on the river ..As a passive player wont get in his money without a very strong holding..Well Played IMO..
Thanks a lot. Can you elaborate further about the isolation range?

Old
Sun Apr 15, 2012, 12:20 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2011
I am extremely sorry ..that was a typing mistake..I meant an "isolation raise " i.e you could have made it about 0.12 to avoid any other player behind to come and join the action

Last edited by nee0903; Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM..

Old
Sun Apr 15, 2012, 10:43 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAwesomeNW View Post
Villain Paramon was 67/20 after 50 hands limped called the raise. Loose passive.

Got into a multiway pot in position, first bet of potsize managed to eliminate other players. Also wanted to eliminate those drawing a flush or straight. I then raised his bet of 2 cents on the turn, but didn't deter him from seeing the river. 10 on the river was definitely bad for me.

I would put him on A x to start off with, definitely not A 10, if not he would have raised me in the middle. I think it was my mistake to just call the 4 cents PFR, should have raised it to eliminate competition.

How would you guys have played against this player? Bet sizing etc.

What cards would you put him on? A x or flush draw?
Hi AwesomeNW.

I think your play was fine, given the info you provide.

I am not a huge fan of 3betting KQs on the button without info about the way a raiser plays, and as that hand tends to have pretty decent high card value, plus the additional possibility of flopping draws, a flat of that small raise can keep the pot more of a size conducive to playing draws. Had you provided info on the raiser, then I may well like a 3bet, but lacking that I'd really have no problem playing KQs as a fit or fold type hand.

On the flop I like your bet sizing with top 2. Just as I commented in your AJs hand, this flop will tend to strongly hit a lot of ranges that can call raises. Your top 2 will tend to have hit the flop a lot HARDER than many of those hits, so starting off right away charging people who may want to stay is a pretty good idea.

When the LP fish check/calls, I am pretty much putting him on a draw, or a 2nd pair type hand. Sure, I COULD be beaten here but I do not think he is flatting a raise on his stats with KK/QQ/JJ, and AT/T9 are really a pretty tiny part of what he could call on. In short, I am pretty sure I am ahead, so I may as well value bet into a calling station...

On the turn, when the opponent donk leads on the 4c, I do not immediately think he holds something like AT. To me, that sort of bet looks a lot more like Ax in clubs, which picked up additional flush outs and is weakly trying to block me from betting more. As such, I act much as you do and raise. When he flats, I really have to think he MIGHT have AT now though, but he could also have something wierd like K4. I have to look at what happens on the river, but I am really thinking of calling up to around a pot size bet in most all cases...

When the T falls on the river and the villain jams, about the only thing you can really do is fold. If this guy had AT on the turn, he probably raises your bet right there on the nuts, and if he has a lesser 2 pair hand, he would probably be scared of you holding an A; so my guess is he made the A hi straight, and I can give up my 2 pair.

So my thought is he has something like Ax in clubs, and you made a solid fold on the river after denying him odds the whole way. Sometimes fish will simply suck lucky on you.

Good hand.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 11:06 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com