Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 6Max 2 Pairs vs Loose Passive

Old
2NL 6Max 2 Pairs vs Loose Passive - Sun Apr 15, 2012, 12:10 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Hi ppl, another hand with same villain. Paramon was 67/20 after 50 hands. Loose Passive.

I hit 2 pairs on the flop but wasn't sure how to play this drawing board and just betted that amount.

Was putting villain on a top pair or a straight draw thus my bet size increased.

Turn and River were good for me. I thought he raised me because he was pot committed and just wanted to get it all in.

Turned out he had the nuts. So in this hand, how should I have played the Flop? How could I detected that he already hit the nuts on any street? Sorry I'm still noob so pardon me for the bad play!

Old
Sun Apr 15, 2012, 12:13 PM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2012
If I had checked on the river and let him bet instead, do you think it's possible to know his hand strength?

Old
Sun Apr 15, 2012, 06:56 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAwesomeNW View Post
Hi ppl, another hand with same villain. Paramon was 67/20 after 50 hands. Loose Passive.

I hit 2 pairs on the flop but wasn't sure how to play this drawing board and just betted that amount.

Was putting villain on a top pair or a straight draw thus my bet size increased.

Turn and River were good for me. I thought he raised me because he was pot committed and just wanted to get it all in.

Turned out he had the nuts. So in this hand, how should I have played the Flop? How could I detected that he already hit the nuts on any street? Sorry I'm still noob so pardon me for the bad play!
Hi AwesomeNW!

Loose/Passive opponents can be some of the most annoying players to play against out of position. They are GOOD opponents for your bottom line because they call way too weakly, and usually do not charge you the maximum on their huge hands, but they can be mega annoying when they flop the nuts!

As such, I really do not have a huge issue with your decision to barrel 3 streets here when you flop top 2 pair:

- the SPR pre flop versus the effective stack favors stakcing off with a top 2 pair hand.
- the opponent staying for the flop bet is probably loose enough to call all the way down on a ton of hands weaker than your top 2.
- the opponent staying all the way with you is probably passive enough he could well check back even hands like AT/A4/A5, and that could cost you value if you do not bet.

When the opponent faded 2 barrels by you I do think you could consider check/calling the river, but as he has only 1 pot size bet left in his stack you may well be calling off all your chips anyway; the thing is he may NOT move all in on the nuts in fear you may fold, and that could save you a bit of $ on a check/call river line.

You see AwesomeNW, the problem with an LP player that is not EXTREMELY passive (this guy is 67/20, not 67/5) is that you are probably barrelling hands like your's with the best a ton of the time. If you slow up on the river, he may well stick what he thinks is a value bet out there on his rag Ace hands (especially 2 paired hands), and you probably have to call that anyway. If you are going to call anyway, you may was well put him in and let him call.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com