Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 66 in BB first hand at table.

Old
2NL 66 in BB first hand at table. - Mon Apr 16, 2012, 10:08 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
This was my first hand at the table i have info on masonada as I know him to be a very loose passive calling station so i searched him to try and make some more money off him The other villain in the hand is unknown.

Pre-flop the hand is a straight forward call for me as i am getting decent odds to set mine as I know masonada will often pay me off when I hit. the flop comes okay for me and I figure that i am often still good on this sort of flop I check to the initial raiser he bets and masonada calls. As i figure my hand is still good i call with the plan to re-evaluate on the turn and check raise if a good card comes.

I hit the turn pretty big and am confident my hand is best, i check again planning to check raise and the original raiser bets masonada calls. I decide that with 3 draws out and 3 opponents in the pot to bet nearly the size of the pot. Is this a reasonable play or should i bet smaller or even lead the turn?

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Mon Apr 16, 2012, 02:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Croyd,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
Pre-flop the hand is a straight forward call for me as i am getting decent odds to set mine as I know masonada will often pay me off when I hit.
I agree completely.

Quote:
The flop comes okay for me and I figure that i am often still good on this sort of flop I check to the initial raiser he bets and masonada calls. As i figure my hand is still good i call with the plan to re-evaluate on the turn and check raise if a good card comes.
This I don't really agree with. Your hand is maybe still good imo... the preflop raiser's smallish c-bet is indicative of a weak hand, probably a missed AK/AQ type hand. The loose passive station is the problem here. He's usually calling with something. We're ahead of hands like 44 and K2s. We're behind K7s, T8, etc. We're roughly 50/50 against a range of draws. Maybe he's peeling light with just overs due to the smallish bet, we're ahead of those too.

On balance, I think we rate to be ahead still slightly more often than not. But that's not really good enough... we are going to be in a 3 handed pot out of position vs. an unknown and a station who probably has something, and I'm just not figuring out a way to play this situation profitably on the turn and river, especially considering that there are a ton of bad turn and river cards for us... basically any card 9+ or any spade will probably force us to check/fold anyway as all those cards devalue our holding somewhat and improve both their general ranges over all.

And check-raising when a good card comes is ok, but which cards are you looking for? I think only 2 cards actually qualify, spiking your set. Most turn cards we'll either be guessing (2's-5's, 7's, 8's) or not really even able to continue (9's+). Yuck.

Quote:
I hit the turn pretty big and am confident my hand is best, i check again planning to check raise and the original raiser bets masonada calls. I decide that with 3 draws out and 3 opponents in the pot to bet nearly the size of the pot. Is this a reasonable play or should i bet smaller or even lead the turn?
I think the big raise sizing is good on such a wet board with a station present who will pay the price with so many worse hands. But I would actually prefer to lead out for about a pot sized bet on the turn. Given the weak lead by the preflop raiser on the flop, after he gets called in 2 spots I wouldn't count on him betting again for me... and if he checks a loose-passive player is very likely to check through all his worse hands costing us a ton of value.

So I would definitely call preflop, Begrudgingly fold the flop here usually, and lead turn when I spike my set.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 17, 2012, 12:06 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Cheers Dave

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com