Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL50 (6 max) KK Iso-Raise

Old
Question
NL50 (6 max) KK Iso-Raise - Tue Apr 17, 2012, 12:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
Hi guys, all advice gratefully welcomed.
After 26 hands: Hero 48/28/2 - Short Stack 38/15/7 - Big Stack 19/12/0

The big stack looks to be playing pretty tight, so I put him on ATs+ or a lower pocket pair. I rule out AK, as I have KK, and AA as I would expect to be 3-Bet. I shove All-In as I don't want to see an Ace on the flop.

Q1. Was I right to isolate the short stack?
Q2. Should I just be calling, trying to give a good price to entice the big stack into the pot?
Q3. Am I losing value with this play?

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Tue Apr 17, 2012, 09:53 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Lop the Flop!

My thoughts on your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lop The Flop View Post

Q1. Was I right to isolate the short stack?
In my opinion Yes. You are playing quite loose, and with a reasonable amount of pre flop aggression. It is not TOO of character for you to try iso raising with your stats (although a 2% 3bet rate is a bit low).

You can get called by quite a few WORSE hands the SB might hold, given that his range to call a raise OOP is probably reasonably tight.

Quote:
Q2. Should I just be calling, trying to give a good price to entice the big stack into the pot?
In my opinion No. Simply calling this raise shows great strength in your hand. Flatting this large raise in and of itself creates such a low SPR, so it is quite unlikely a disciplined SB player will call that flat in hopes of out playing you post flop.

To me, you stand a BETTER chance of getting called by worse showing your aggro tendencies with a re-shove; to me that simply looks "bluffier" and probably gets you more calls than a flat.

Quote:
Q3. Am I losing value with this play?
Perhaps, perhaps not.

If the BTN is prone to flat along a lot, then donk leads misses in a dry pot (or somewhat weak hits), perhaps you are losing some potential value from hands like QQ/JJ that may flop an over pair, or AK that may bluff in a dry pot on air ball misses. If he will try a bluff or semi bluff C/R a good bit of the time you may miss out on some value too. That is a lot of "if's" though...

By the same token, you could well be trading good equity pre flop for much WORSE equity on the flop if you encourage the SB to stay around semi-cheaply. If the pot is quite small I do not mind that, but given that the shorter stack already shoved and thereby created a pretty large pot, I'd really rather work to the maximum in pre flop that I can. The pot will have grown so large in relation to the effective stacks I may well not get any more anyway unless the SB has out flopped me, or has a pretty good chance to run me down any way.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Tue Apr 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com