Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$11.00 NL MTT, Sunday Storm, Holding T9s on the BB.

Old
$11.00 NL MTT, Sunday Storm, Holding T9s on the BB. - Tue Apr 17, 2012, 02:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
BronzeStar
Hello. I would like someone to please analyze the following hand and tell me if I did the correct play on this situation. I want to know if I played the hand correctly or not and what mistakes I did in order to learn from my mistakes and become a better player. I had a solid image at the table on that moment, my opponent "PESCANCO" was a solid player, having a tendency of slow playing strong made hands.

PokerStars Hand #78918724211: Tournament #568010003, $10+$1 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VIII (125/250) - 2012/04/15 13:06:41 MT [2012/04/15 15:06:41 ET]
Table '568010003 5547' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: ahap66 (5450 in chips)
Seat 2: KOLIABOKO44 (4975 in chips)
Seat 3: stadzen (8880 in chips)
Seat 4: PESCANCO (9942 in chips)
Seat 5: arba1 (10630 in chips)
Seat 6: martinrac (3545 in chips)
Seat 7: Terene Hill- (12291 in chips)
Seat 8: Hiervaman (11777 in chips)
Seat 9: alyys00 (6605 in chips)
ahap66: posts the ante 25
KOLIABOKO44: posts the ante 25
stadzen: posts the ante 25
PESCANCO: posts the ante 25
arba1: posts the ante 25
martinrac: posts the ante 25
Terene Hill-: posts the ante 25
Hiervaman: posts the ante 25
alyys00: posts the ante 25
Terene Hill-: posts small blind 125
Hiervaman: posts big blind 250
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hiervaman [Td 9d]
alyys00: folds
ahap66: folds
KOLIABOKO44: folds
stadzen: folds
PESCANCO: raises 280 to 530
arba1: folds
martinrac: folds
Terene Hill-: folds
Hiervaman: calls 280
*** FLOP *** [Tc 9h 6d]
Hiervaman: bets 986
PESCANCO: calls 986
*** TURN *** [Tc 9h 6d] [Kd]
Hiervaman: bets 3163
PESCANCO: calls 3163
*** RIVER *** [Tc 9h 6d Kd] [3h]
Hiervaman: bets 7073 and is all-in
PESCANCO: calls 5238 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (1835) returned to Hiervaman
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Hiervaman: shows [Td 9d] (two pair, Tens and Nines)
PESCANCO: shows [Qd Js] (a straight, Nine to King)
PESCANCO collected 20184 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 20184 | Rake 0
Board [Tc 9h 6d Kd 3h]
Seat 1: ahap66 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: KOLIABOKO44 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: stadzen folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: PESCANCO showed [Qd Js] and won (20184) with a straight, Nine to King
Seat 5: arba1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: martinrac (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Terene Hill- (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: Hiervaman (big blind) showed [Td 9d] and lost with two pair, Tens and Nines
Seat 9: alyys00 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Last edited by Hiervaman; Tue Apr 17, 2012 at 07:49 PM..

Old
Tue Apr 17, 2012, 05:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Hiervaman!

Welcome to the forum.

Preflop, what I do here will depend on my read on the opp. With it being a solid player, I'd look at how many times they were trying to steal the blinds. If it was something that the opp was doing regularly (wider range), then I'd be more likely to call. If the opp was not stealing, then I'd be more likely to fold and let the opp have them this time.

The flop is both good and bad. I get top 2 pair, but there is a possible made straight out there along with many straight draws. With top 2 pair, I want to make a value bet and I'd want to size it so that anyone with a draw is priced out. With a possible OESD and without a flush, I'll bet 1/2 pot. The opp calls, so they most likely have a straight draw or hit a part of the board.

The turn brings an overcard, a flush draw and completes an OESD. WIth 2nd and 3rd pair, I once again here want to make a value bet, but now I need to price out a flush too. To do this, I'll bet between 2/3 and 3/4 pot. 2/3 if I don't think the opp has a combo draw, 3/4 if a combo draw is a more likely possibility. The opp calling again makes it an even scarier board, as they now could have a higher 2 pair or multiple straights that are ahead of me.

The river is a total blank. Since I'm not sure whether or not my 2 pair is good, I'm going to make a thin value bet of about 1/4 pot here and hope that the opp calls. My hand does have showdown value, but there are a number of card combinations that are ahead of me. I wouldn't want to shove unless I was absolutely certain that I had the best hand.

In this situation, with what normally will be enough chips to get ITM, I want to use pot control (while still pricing out the draws) unless I'm sure I have the best hand... which here, I'm not sure that my 2 pair are ahead. Even more so with an opp that is known to slowplay made hands.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 17, 2012, 07:58 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
BronzeStar
Hello Jhon JWK24.

Thank you very much for your insight on this particular hand, I appreciate your help.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com