Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

how do i get more value

Old
how do i get more value - Thu Apr 19, 2012, 03:10 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
this is very early in a open league tourney and the only time i want to be on a donk table and unfortunately wasnt

a very poor payoff for quads and the way the board came was hard to get chips in without scaring opps away,i know perhaps a raise preflop was in order,any ideas on how to get more chips here?

Old
Thu Apr 19, 2012, 09:27 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi milehigh!

With 77, especially early in an open league game, I'm checking preflop from the BB and seeing the flop for free. It's a hand with potential, but I don't want to bloat the pot since I'm out of position with a made marginal hand.

I flop quads. Here's where a read on the opps would be a good thing. If I knew the two opps would call a small bet, then I'd lead... but... if I think they could fold, I'm checking and hope someone has and bets a king. Unfortunately, they both check behind.

On the turn, since everyone checked the flop, I absolutely want to make a small value bet and try to make it small enough that they'll call and not fold. The pot's at 140, so I'd bet just under 1/2 pot at 70.

The river puts a second pair on the board. I'm hoping that the opp has a 6 and check/raises me, as I'll once again make my bet at about 1/2 pot. I don't want to bet too much here, as I don't want the opp to be scared off since I've got the absolute nuts. If the opp raises, then I'll make a large 3-bet, but I don't want to make my initial bet too high, as I want to get some value for my hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com