Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Taking My Shot

Old
Taking My Shot - Sun Apr 22, 2012, 02:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Just got to the first break in the sunday storm and im sitting on around 6800 nice start from 5000.
Decided to take a shot at it tonight by first trying to satellite into the tournament, i managed to satellite through a 210fpp 20 man with 6 seats into the event. Very happy to be playing and hopefully can make a deep run at it, bring it on!

Old
Sun Apr 22, 2012, 02:18 PM
(#2)

Why did i not bet the turn.......duhhhhhhh

Old
Sun Apr 22, 2012, 02:24 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
Me too.

If you're playing the 210 FPP's thanks to Honu's thread then give his thread a wee shout. I would never have known about the satellites until I checked it. While I intend to cash most of my sats into T$, I will take the odd shot like tonight.

I'm at a raising station table. Raise, re-raising all the time, a few VPiP's over 50% with PFR not much better. Gonna rock up, on 4,800 from 5,500.

Old
Sun Apr 22, 2012, 02:33 PM
(#4)
out! just after an hour, got sucked out on twice but i played both hands terribly so muchly deserved :/

Old
Sun Apr 22, 2012, 02:41 PM
(#5)
Gutshot chasers even at this level:

Old
Sun Apr 22, 2012, 02:49 PM
(#6)
Bulldozed again by a guy that flopped the nuts, I shouldn't have got involved in the hand but cmon, I raised decently and he should never have been in the pot

Old
Sun Apr 22, 2012, 02:54 PM
(#7)
That's twice in these tournies someone has flopped the nuts after I've gave a beefed up raise pre.

QQ v a rock who called J9s was my previous hand on a QT8 flop.

Avoiding these beats is near impossible and a skill in itself.

Bangs head again

Old
Sun Apr 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
Bulldozed again by a guy that flopped the nuts, I shouldn't have got involved in the hand but cmon, I raised decently and he should never have been in the pot

Nasty one - you aren't really doing too much wrong, but you are coolered when he flops the nuts and checks - I'm not sure I would bet the flop, but I would definitely bet the turn and probably get done over anyway.

Stack sizes are a problem, I might be tempted to shove preflop in position over a limper with a slightly smaller stack (my stack not theirs), maybe even with 22BBs, but putting such a standard 'big' raise 3x+1 out there is pretty committing when we hit top+2nd v a passive limp/caller.

Better luck next time.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Sun Apr 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
(#9)
I did over raise pre, I should have made it slightly smaller and agree with the check on flop but I still think I'm losing a load if not all of my stack on the turn. I cut my own throat by getting involved but to the rest of the table I'm one of the tightest, I did say to myself not to being involved in pots unless I was really strong.

Just annoyed he called so weakly - what was he hoping for to flop a straight?

Old
Sun Apr 22, 2012, 03:25 PM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
I did over raise pre, I should have made it slightly smaller and agree with the check on flop but I still think I'm losing a load if not all of my stack on the turn. I cut my own throat by getting involved but to the rest of the table I'm one of the tightest, I did say to myself not to being involved in pots unless I was really strong.

Just annoyed he called so weakly - what was he hoping for to flop a straight?
I don't think you necessarily over-raised - i would favour a fold OR a strong raise. As for the opp. suited middle-connectors, nice hand to flop strongly against overcards like you have - not often, but when they do you can get paid off.

Looking at all the table stacks, I'm assuming you are both somewhere around the average tournament stack size or worse, so I couldn't say that I wouldn't be willing to get involved strongly enough to
risk my tournament life here with either hand preflop, (given the action) and once I hit go for it. It would very much depend on reads but your raise could be a steal attempt. When the blinds fold I might be willing to call and hope to hit or call and then bluff/represent the flop.

Tough spot basically.

Ed

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Sun Apr 22, 2012 at 03:30 PM..

Old
Sun Apr 22, 2012, 04:04 PM
(#11)
I try and look at a hand from my opponents point of view but I still can't understand his thought process. T9s ep is not a good hand to be limping but to call a 4x r for 1/5th of your stack?

My only thinking is he late regged and is a gambler. I didn't have any notes on him nor HEM hands.

I think my biggest mistake was getting involved but if I rock up every time then I'll just blind out.

I'm due a bit of luck in a multi on Stars, I've never won one .

Old
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 08:49 AM
(#12)
I've seen this as more of a learning experience than anything else, havent really played a tournament with this kind of structure before and when i get the points i need i will try and satellite into the tournament again.....and hopefully this time be more successful

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com