Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Final table - 2 hands

Old
Final table - 2 hands - Mon Apr 23, 2012, 07:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
First I got this hand and it took me like a miunte to fold my hand and I told everybody I had 22. The guy said he had the nuts, I think it is reasonable to believe he had a better hand. He played so passively and then so aggresively on the river that he either slowplayed a better set or he made his straigth or flush.

then the NEXT hand, I was still a bit uncomfortable after folding the set, and I think that I usually would have folded here also.

I think I should have folded, still would have had 40 BBs left if I did, what do you reckon?

Old
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 07:34 AM
(#2)
no reads on this villian because these were the first 2 hands....
the tournament was a $22 buyin deep stack slow tournament, therefore no reason to go crazy if you get medium / short stack

Last edited by Sjekkkk; Mon Apr 23, 2012 at 07:37 AM..

Old
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 01:38 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi sjekkkk!

22 hand:
Preflop, I'm going to call trying to setmine here with 22.
The flop gives me a set, but also has potential straight, flush and combo draws. I want to make a value bet with my set, but I need to price out as many of the opps possible from whatever draws they may have and will size my bet at 3/4 pot here. 3/4 pot will price out two opps.... but any smaller bets will price IN the second caller and I don't want to give a larger stack a reason to make a +EV call and draw at me.
The turn completes the flush and both opps check. I'm going to check behind here for pot control and re-evaluate on the river.
The river 9 completes multiple straight draws. The passive opp now leads for 1/3 pot and is raised by the initial min-raiser. That's a tough spot. The original preflop raiser could have a flush, straight (KJs), set of 9's, or another pocket pair. With the only hands that I beat being a pocket pair that didn't hit a set (or air) and it costing me over 1/2 my chips... I will still have about 50BB if I muck (but am a bottom 3 chip stack)... BUT if I have the best hand and win, I go from 7th place to being the chip leader with a shot at winning the tourney.
I think the risk is worth the reward of being the final table chip leader and I'm calling the 31.2k here. The opp may have me beat, but I think the risk is worth the reward.

AK hand:
Preflop there is an UTG min raise and I've got AK from MP. I'm going to 3-bet here and size it at 3X the min-raise, 7200. The BB (same villain as last hand) raises to 19,200.
After folding the last hand and with my 3-bet here, I'm basically the lowest stack at the table and need to be accumulating chips.
I still have about 40BB, but I like the shove here. The only hands I'm dominated by are AA and KK and have a blocker to both, am in a race with smaller pairs or have other aces dominated.
If I had a larger stack compared to the opps, I may fold here, but as almost the lowest stack left, I need to be getting chips to try and win. Yes, I have some time left to try and find a hand, but as almost the lowest stack left, I need to be taking some chances to accumulate chips.

Good run to get to the final table and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 02:10 PM
(#4)
Thanks John

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com