Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Difference between mtt and sng?

Old
Difference between mtt and sng? - Mon Apr 23, 2012, 10:10 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Hi guys,

Im playing sng for 90 man for a while,im doing great there ,my game is also improved and i reached most time the final table ,but i never won a sng ,just cashed out around 4th place but not higher,so i was thinking to play mtt but is that a good choice for me ? I builded my bankroll around 145 dollars and i really want to play mtt ,but do you have to use the same strategy as sng ?
My strategy is ,early middle stage:tight,dont play marginal hands. Bubble: Bully the short stack in position.Final table,play marginal hands in position....I hope that will work for me at mtt :P
Btw about position,Daniel Negreanu said on twitter ''that guy is left to me haha'',what does that mean :O ?

Old
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 10:46 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Hbhuang341,

If i was you i would keep with the 90 mans for a while. Set a goal. Something like 100 90 man games then analize you play and look for leaks. At this point(and before of course) you can look at the video archieves.

May i ask in the last month how many games did you play and how many times where you in the money.

As for a player being on your left he will act after you and so will have seen what you plan to do first.

Hope this helps

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 11:16 AM
(#3)
well,i played like 14 hours per day and 4 times in a week and i did it in 5 weeks .
Mostly i play 2-3 tables at the same time and cashed out like 8 of the 10 times i've played,but never took the first place...

Old
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 11:16 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhuang341 View Post
Hi guys,

Im playing sng for 90 man for a while,im doing great there ,my game is also improved and i reached most time the final table ,but i never won a sng ,just cashed out around 4th place but not higher,so i was thinking to play mtt but is that a good choice for me ? I builded my bankroll around 145 dollars and i really want to play mtt ,but do you have to use the same strategy as sng ?
My strategy is ,early middle stage:tight,dont play marginal hands. Bubble: Bully the short stack in position.Final table,play marginal hands in position....I hope that will work for me at mtt :P
Btw about position,Daniel Negreanu said on twitter ''that guy is left to me haha'',what does that mean :O ?
Technically a sitngo is just a tourney that starts when it is full rather than a scheduled tournament that starts at a set time, but they do tend to be smaller fields (from STTs up to 180/360 players) and most have different structures.

The big field MTTs with regular structures are usually slower and have bigger starting stacks, so you will need to be comfortable playing deep stacked and playing less hands, especially if you are used to small field sitngos and turbo structures.

However, many of the same principles apply - playing good hands in position, getting your bet sizing right, getting reads on opponents at your table, looking for spots to accumulate chips, being aware of stack sizes, blind increases etc.

You have a decent bankroll to try out some of the lower buy-in MTTs - so I would give yourself a few shots, pick a time when you have a few hours free after registration to allow for for a deep run and try them out. Check out the lobby and all the details so you know the structure, and look at the MTT videos in the archive.

I only play a few MTTs, (apart from the Freerolls), so I am not an expert - but I hope to start playing some of the Sunday tournaments like the Sunday Storm on a regular basis.

Good luck

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 12:24 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi hbhuang!

An MTT is just a larger version of a sng. They will normally have many, many more entrants. The play strategy for them is similar, but a player will need much more patience in MTT's, as they will last for a very long period of time (most take 2-3 hrs or even longer, to even get to the bubble).

For bankroll management, I try to have 100 buy-in's before I'll play a given level of MTT's as there will be very large variance swings in them.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 12:30 PM
(#6)
So u guys give me the advice to stay at sng for 90 man.
MTT makes me dead i see,a mtt wil take like 10 hours omg .... but the cash is nice :P

Old
MTT Videos (late stage) - Mon Apr 23, 2012, 12:43 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Hi guys,

Im playing sng for 90 man for a while,im doing great there ,my game is also improved and i reached most time the final table ,but i never won a sng ,just cashed out around 4th place but not higher,so i was thinking to play mtt but is that a good choice for me ?
Sounds like you're doing fine until the final table. Or maybe your style of play isn't getting you enough chips to play the final table effectively. Late middle and final stages of an MTT you need to open up a bit. Below are some PSO videos that might help your 'late middle/end' game:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...Stack-in-MTT-s

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...le-Play-Part-1

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...le-Play-Part-2

I'm sure you'll fine some very useful ways to play your final table in these videos.

"May the cards be with you!"

Old
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 12:51 PM
(#8)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Final table,play marginal hands in position...
This sounds wrong, depending on what you're doing. At the final table of 90 mans the money is usually shallow, marginal hands are only good for steals or resteals when you have good fold equity. The fact that you're equating them to position and not situation inclines me to think this may be part of the reason you're struggling to close the deal. With shallow stack situations your more marginal hands are really only steals that you will be playing aggressively (usually shoving/depth of money dependent). The best timing for this is in spots were you expect to get a lot of folds, it's situationally dependent (and position is only one component of the situation).

If you're +ROI in 90 mans for now I too would recommend sticking with these to continue grinding your roll while working on your endgame. As your roll grows you can work into your bankroll management some larger field MTT's.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 23, 2012, 12:51 PM
(#9)
Thanks for help guys and remember if i win the wsop bracelet, i will share few buy-ins for you guys haha

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com