Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

tournament tips and strategies

Old
tournament tips and strategies - Thu Apr 26, 2012, 12:11 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
BronzeStar
just curious as what other tournament strategies i try my best to do the maths but some times you got to fallow your hart and call for it but i also tend to shove all in on aces kings and ace king because well you only want top hands to call you and if you do come across aces or kings you don't feel to upset if you lose what do you think

Old
Thu Apr 26, 2012, 12:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone official will be along shortly with some good info for you.

My first goal in a tourney is to stay in it, so I tend to play only very strong hands for the first hour or so. After that I open up my range a bit, but I've found that when I'm successful, my range is still only about 15-20%. The stats below are from a Big $2.20, I'm currently 171 of 198 left from a starting field of 4,223.

During current Hold'em session you were dealt 216 hands and saw flop:
- 5 out of 24 times while in big blind (20%)
- 2 out of 25 times while in small blind (8%)
- 17 out of 167 times in other positions (10%)
- a total of 24 out of 216 (11%)
Pots won at showdown - 8 of 10 (80%)
Pots won without showdown - 16

Not exactly a big win, but it gives you some idea where to start. Take advantage of some of the training available here, it's sure to improve your game.

Old
Thu Apr 26, 2012, 02:10 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi thenztitan!

Welcome to the forum. Here's a link that will help to get you familiar with the different things that are offered at PSO.

Strategies, etc are always going to be specific to a given situation. What may work in one may not in another. The one consistant thing is to make the best decision at a given time, based on all available information. There always needs to be a solid reason for folding, calling or raising. Just randomly shoving hands is not going to be a winning long-term strategy, as a player should want to maximize the equity in every hand they are dealt.

When I'm playing a tourney, goal 1 is to get ITM, goal 2 is to get to the final table and goal 3 is to win the tourney..... always remembering that neither 2 nor 3 can happen without meeting goal 1 first.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
thanks alot - Fri Apr 27, 2012, 02:05 AM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2012
BronzeStar
hey thanks alot i like to think i play tight and get a lil lose on the button and maybe at times a lil to agressive and if i do shove i am 90% of the time the leader as i lean more towards only shove with aa kk ak and some times qq nothing lower unless i have very good notes on the player just seams i keep getting craked by hands like q6 off suit

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com