Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl 6max AKo in 3Bet multiway pot

Old
2nl 6max AKo in 3Bet multiway pot - Thu Apr 26, 2012, 11:20 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
all three players have less than 15 hands worth of history but so far the stats are all +50 vpip and low on PFR

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

err help please!

my brain just sort of farts and dies here and i really have no clue how to continue
all coments and advice would be greatly welcomed!

Old
Thu Apr 26, 2012, 12:03 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi pokerpants!

Pre flop I like 3betting AKo vs a short stack min raiser who is as wide as you say. Your AK will tend to play better versus fewer opponents, and I am pretty certain I'd be ready to paly for stacks vs this shortie if he happens to 4bet shove. The amount you choose was good too, as if only the min raiser calls, you set up a good SPR to get your chips in at some point on a top/top hand if you hit, and folding 16c isn't brutal if you miss and he donk leads.

I especially like the larger 16c 3bet sizing you choose if it was made because you suspect you might get multiple callers, all of whom are quite wide. By raising larger you create an SPR around 3 against the largest stack, and I think I'd be ready to play for stacks agaisnt anyone in the hand if I flop top/top.

When the flop comes and you do hit top/top on a board with a flush draw present, these are my thoughts:

- You really cannot flat top/top here, as that may led to a variety of potential suck outs.
...If you are ahead, a lot of cards could come that kill your action if you flat as well.
...If you are behind, all flatting will do is stick you even further into a hugely bloated pot.

- You really cannot continence a FOLD of top/top, as the action is not hugely strong, and smacks of draws and/or weaker aces with your range info.

- You really cannot raise a smallish amount without committing yourself pretty strongly.

So altogether, I think this adds up to a situation where you might be beat by a 2 pair hand or a set, but given the size of the pot so be it if that is the case...

I just put 'em in here and let the chips fall where they will.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 26, 2012, 12:11 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
thanx fwiw i shoved 2 callers BB 55 and MP had 22 i feel better knowing that i made the right call

Old
Thu Apr 26, 2012, 01:27 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
I wouldnt say shoving is the best play here, but a 0.90$ raise is better and if someone comes over the top you are commited and should call.
Because with shoving you only give your opponents two options, and by practically moving allin your opponents can still go allin and think you might fold or they just go allin with a draw, rather than calling an allin.

Old
Thu Apr 26, 2012, 05:33 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjekkkk View Post
I wouldnt say shoving is the best play here, but a 0.90$ raise is better and if someone comes over the top you are commited and should call.
Because with shoving you only give your opponents two options, and by practically moving allin your opponents can still go allin and think you might fold or they just go allin with a draw, rather than calling an allin.
What happens Sjekkkk when a 3rd spade hits the turn, and the guy who donk led the flop jams his remaining 40c or so in (yes, there are people at 1c/2c who will call 90c here!), and the $1.94 stack ($1.20 after he too flats your 90c raise) then mucks AJ (or the 22 he actually had) because he hasn't got a spade?

Answer: you just lost $1.20 that might have potentially offset the loss if the guy donk leading has you beat.

Simple fact in my opinion is that the SPR going to the flop versus ANY of these stacks individually was very low. In multi-way pots your SPR needs to be a lot lower to be willing to stack off on a top/top hand, but with the worst SPR being ~3.2, we have the low SPR we'd like to see...

If these guys are this station-y, make them pay the max to hit their chases, and if they out flopped top/top, so be it!

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Thu Apr 26, 2012 at 05:40 PM..

Old
Thu Apr 26, 2012, 11:52 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Shoving is fine.

If we make it .90c and someone actually calls rather than shoves, we will put the rest of the money in on any turn card without a 2nd thought. A 3rd spade doesn't matter, it won't scare anyone off since there's not much money left to bet anyway, and if they make a flush it likely didn't change anything (if they call a big raise that's not a shove, they'd probably call a shove). And we have the king of spades to redraw to as well.

I don't really like the .90c as much as shoving, it looks too strong imo. Shoving actually looks a bit weaker to me as people might do this with moderate aces or draws, and I think we'll get called off by any ace either way, but like JD said there are scary looking turn cards that opponents holding hands like AdTd may not put the rest in with on the turn, but they'll put it in on the flop, so since we're committed anyway here just get the monies in imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com