Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

What type of SnG for a beginner?

Old
Question
What type of SnG for a beginner? - Thu Apr 26, 2012, 04:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
I was just reading an article on SnGs for beginners and the guy recommends starting on Micro Stakes Single table SnGs. He is also against the 6 seat tables although he is not specific about why.

A lot of other stuff I've read/seen suggest Multi Table, such as the $0.25 45 or 90 seaters here on PS. As suggested in the 'Bankroll Builder' series of Live Training videos by AHAR010.

Any views? With reasons if possible please.

Old
Thu Apr 26, 2012, 04:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Henry Minute!

The reason for the 6 seat tables is that they are normally higher variance tables, so due to the higher variance, it would take a larger bankroll to play a given level of stakes (and most beginners are starting with a small or limited bankroll).

I've played a number of the .25 45's and 90's in the past (before black friday, since I'm in the US) and these are a good place to start. They're also the lowest stakes you'll see for the 45's and 90's. These tournies will take patience and discipline to consistantly cash in and are a great place to learn these key concepts.

For a tourney to start into MTT's, there is a .25 with $100 added MTT that is very good value that would be a great tourney to start playing MTT's and it's at 22:00 ET. This tourney will teach a player even more patience, as you'll have to fade even more players to be able to get ITM.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Cool
For beginners - Thu Apr 26, 2012, 04:50 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
I think for beginners wanting to cash, that the tables with 8 players that pay 3 spots are good value 8/3=2.66 one cash for each 2.66 people is the ratio which is very good, however this is for the mixed/different games like triple stud, 8 game, horse, etc. For nl holdem I think the 50 50s are awesome value as you have one table, so you dont move around, and get to know your opponents and have a 10/5 one in 2 chance of cashing! Good luck!

Old
Thu Apr 26, 2012, 05:52 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
Thumbs up for the 50/ Fifty's as well

I started here on the old Double or Nothings (similar to 50/Fifty's) and they really helped my bankroll.

Just sit really tight for the first few levels and then loosen up as the bubble approaches. (The bubble is the payout stage ie. when there are 5 players.) Keep plenty of notes as you will play the same players over and over again.

I think it's very important to hone your skills in 2, 6 and 9 or 10 seat STT's as every multi table will reach these numbers eventually. I grind away at 6 max STT's, they play out no different to a full ring game except you see the blinds more often. As in any game, you should adapt your play to the number of chips you have V's the level of the blinds V's your opponent.

Old
Smile
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:52 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
Thanks for that. Useful stuff.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com