Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NLH 180 $450 SnG - AK on the button all against lots of previous action.

Old
NLH 180 $450 SnG - AK on the button all against lots of previous action. - Thu Apr 26, 2012, 07:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Hi all. This is my first post in this kind of forum, pls help!

I've just been kicked out of a 180 $4.50 SnG in an interesting hand and would love to hear some feedback on wether I over played my AKo in this situation.

The hand number was 79499080924. I have had the hand history emailed to me. What's the best way to proceed from here so you all can have a look at it :-)

Cheers, K.

Old
Thu Apr 26, 2012, 07:55 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi CptKevUK!

I see that you made a similar post in the new members section. Here's a link to my reply there, as to how to go about it.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 06:19 AM
(#3)
Thanks John great to know my post is at least being read and not vapourising into the ether! I'll get on the case and see what people have to say snot the hand. Are you part of team looking after the forum?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Old
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 08:44 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKevUK View Post
Thanks John great to know my post is at least being read and not vapourising into the ether! I'll get on the case and see what people have to say snot the hand. Are you part of team looking after the forum?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Oh, now I see it says 'Team PokerSchoolOnline - John - Moderator, Hand Analyzer', I guess that answers my question! Doh!!

Old
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:37 AM
(#5)
(Head Trainer)

Hi Kev,

I think your play is fine here. The shover has a short stack of 5 BB's and get's 2 flat callers, neither of whom rates to have a huge hand or generally we'd expect them to 3-bet to isolate the shorty. It's possible someone flatted with AA or KK as a trap to induce more action, but we do have an ace and king blocker, and it's more likely they have some more marginal hand that is worth 5bb's vs a wide range but they're scared to shove with. And we only have 26 bb's, there's now like 17 bb's out there to go after. So rather than flat for 4 more bb's and have to hit our hand, I think we do much better jamming to isolate (which ace high will beat the short all in guy often enough unimproved) and if we get called AK rates to play well vs. the callers range even including a few traps in the mix... and winning that scenario sets us up nicely for a deep finish.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Hand history in replayer. - Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:48 AM
(#6)
Hi John,

I'll put the link to the replayer at the bottom.

I've got a feeling this is a perfectly standard situation as it involves an AKo shuv, the question in my mind is that am I risking my tournament at the right stage of the play?

So, I'm in the BB with AKo (not the button as it says in the title, though this makes little difference to the situation). I don't have a lot of info on the other players as I am playing two 180 $4.50 at the same time and anyway the hand kind of plays itself and it's more about risk benefit analysis than the opponents as I say.

A short stack shuvs in an any two cards kind of a way from early pos and gets two callers for about a quarter of my stack. I'm sitting in about 20th place in the tourni with about 50ish players left. I shuv over the top from the BB. The first caller, who has about the same stack as me calls and the second caller, who has a big stack folds. The short stack who shuved has random cards and the guy whole called my all in has KQs. So I'm way ahead and it's all good. But he flops a Q and so I am out. That's poker.

My question then is it right to risk my whole tournament in that way at that time? I felt I was in a shuv or fold situation. A lot of times I will flat call with AKo but with so much money in the pot and needing to be heads up with my hand I figured if I was going to play the hand I had to shuv.

I just wonder if I am going out of too many tournaments too early with this kind of play. If I had folded I had a big enough stack to carry on playing and maybe wait for a better spot, or is that just too passive and I have to take those beats and make that move 100% of the time?

Cheers, Kevin.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=2EDB82AFEE

Old
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 12:13 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Kevin!

I agree with Dave on this one and agree with your assessment on it being a shove/fold situation.
I don't want to be flatting here, as I'd rather try to isolate one opp if I'm going to be playing the hand. AK plays much better against fewer opponents.
The other factor here is my chip stack. I've played many more 90 mans than 180's and 6k chips is borderline to cash in a 90 man, so with double the players, I'll need more chips than that to cash in the tourney. Since I need more chips, it's another factor that I'll use in determining to shove here.
The situation where I'd fold here would be if I already had plenty of chips to get ITM, then I could muck here and look for a better situation where I'd have one opp isolated or a made hand later in the tourney.

Actually, it's a great example of why players should use good bankroll management when entering tournies. If a player is playing above their bankroll, they may not take the chance here, but if using good bankroll management, there are enough chips already in the pot that it's well worth the risk. Yes, if I'd lose here, I'm crippled, but if I win, I'm set up for a realistic final table run and possibly winning.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Very reassuring! - Fri Apr 27, 2012, 12:47 PM
(#8)
Hi Dave,

Great live training last night btw, really enjoyed it. I've only just discovered this wealth of talent nurturing resources here at PSO and am already a fan!! I replied to Chris' post with some things that I enjoyed about the session so you may be interested to take a squint at that.

The hand analysis on my KK play is very reassuring, thanks. That was pretty much my thinking about my play but I am concerned that I am going out of too many tournis in this kind of way and wonder if I over play my situation as a general rule.

I've just posted another hand with KK that ends up in a similar way, feedback would be great.

One idea I've had that I would be interested in for a live topic is situations like this when you have a really strong hand on the flop and are forced to get ALL your chips by someone shuving over the top who you just know is on a draw that if they hit will beat you. I'm familiar enough with the basic odds to know that I'm ahead most of the time in these spots but should I be willing to risk my tournament by calling even though I know I'm ahead?

Or is that just the nature of tournament play, if you are ahead you have to get your chips in and take the odds? I'm sure you know the kind of spot I mean, trips against a nut flush draw. I've hit my trips, I bet the flop big he (or she) shuvs and I 'have' to call......

So, thanks again for the live session last night and I did watch the video on combinatronics, really interesting. I'll be working through lots of the other videos too and maybe become and annoyingly regular poster here looking for analysis!!

K.

Old
Sat Apr 28, 2012, 12:56 PM
(#9)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKevUK View Post
One idea I've had that I would be interested in for a live topic is situations like this when you have a really strong hand on the flop and are forced to get ALL your chips by someone shuving over the top who you just know is on a draw that if they hit will beat you. I'm familiar enough with the basic odds to know that I'm ahead most of the time in these spots but should I be willing to risk my tournament by calling even though I know I'm ahead?
Hi Kev,

Remember you never actually know someone is on a draw for sure, but if they showed us their hand for an all in and we knew we were a 2-1 favorite (with 2 cards to come, more with 1 card to come), that's too big an edge to pass up imo. I'm not good enough to pass up huge edges.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 28, 2012, 02:12 PM
(#10)
OK, roger that. Thanks Dave. I guess I'm asking dumb ass questions I kind of know the answer to but like a small child I just need verification from my dad, lol!!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com