Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Please can you tell me how you got so good at poker.

Old
Please can you tell me how you got so good at poker. - Fri Apr 27, 2012, 12:07 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
BronzeStar
I have been playing poker for about 18months on and off. Mostly on the internet and freeroll's but never for actual money until a week ago when it was my birthday. I am very passionate about poker and I want to learn and develop my skills, identify areas that are not as strong, and improve them to maintain a highly effective skills base.

I only deposited ($16/£10) last weekend and I have already gave it a shot at the cash games and SnG's. I have had decent success placing 2nd/1st in 12/15 SnG games. (Usually finish 2nd though, I blame this somewhat to getting riverred - I understand that's poker though). I also multi-tabled for the first time yesterday over 4 tables at micro stakes, I managed to build about double my buy in on each table, but always stayed around that. (The short stacks always seemed to jam on me with marginal hands and I lost a couple times).

However, despite having small scale success within a week, I believe with your help and guidance I will be able to improve my game.

I need to know how you have improved your game, so I can improve my game. Firstly,

• What poker books are credible that I could read that you think are good?
    What online articles I could read online?
    What videos that you have watched are worth watching?
    And anything else you think would help a motivated student who want's to learn poker.

I would appreciate the reasons behind your advice so I can understand why you want me to do a certain thing and why that works. I would also be thankful for any links to books/videos/other that are relevant.
Thank you, Harry.

Old
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 12:35 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Harry!

Welcome to the forum. Here's a link that will help with showing the different things that PSO has to offer.

I've been playing some sort of cards for about 40 yrs and I"m still learning new things everyday.

Here's a link to a thread on poker books to read. I've read some of these and am currently reading super system 2.

For online articles and videos, please check out the course section and video section here at PSO. These are well worth reading/watching. Also, the live training sessions.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 12:46 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
BronzeStar
Thank you for the list of poker books, I shall do some research into them. I have already watched all of the non-trainer videos on PokerSchoolOnline but I haven't watched all of the training videos. I would watch them more often, but I think the user interface is rather troublesome and it makes it difficult to find the videos I would like to watch.
I don't understand the: Under 20 VPP Between 20 and 150 VPPs 150 and over VPPs

Old
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 12:53 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2011
hi harry and welcome to PSO.

i dont know about being good, but i do have some succes grinding the 2nl 6max cash tables.

i started about a year ago when i got my first deposit on stars. been up and down (dont we all love the rollercoaster that is called poker lol)

when i started playing my game was 50ct sng. well because i only knew the rules of nl holdem, i lost my bankroll. i reloaded and went searching on the internet. i read a lot of poker stuff and finally found PSO. and let me tell you there is no better free teaching site then this one
it has a lot of articles, you can test your knowledge and watch a lot of video's.

as to your quetions:

books: i read a lot of them. the one i'm currently reading is (i think) a must have for any pokerplayer who wants to learn. its the mental game of poker. its not a stratagy book but it coveres a very important topic: tilt.
don't listen to phill mellmute is also a nice one to read

u can send me a PM if you want to know more

articles: read about the basics and then focus on the games you want to play. (you can find a lot on PSO)

video's: how many do you want haha. i would suggest you start with the theoretical video's made by the langolier. then watch the basic video's (the ones with a minus) on your game of choise.
and attend the live trainings! those are my no1 source for learning.
the trainers are great. they are all succesfull players who focus on microstakes
if you register as a participant you can ask questions in chat (you can not join them at their tables).

any other advice....play. don't start to fast though. if you play cash games don't play 4 tables at once at least not until you get the hang of the games and feel comfortable (not a must of course, just my opinion).

when you get the hang of the basics, never take someones word for any type of play. listen to their advice and find out if it works for you. this way you will find your own style.

just a little alaboration from my part. the PSO site tells you tight and agressive is the way to go. and i support that especcially for a "beginning" player. the starting hands chart is a great tool to use until you get more comfortable. thats the basics! but that doesnt meen that, when you advance, you always have to play a tight aggressive style. when you get comfortable, open up your game, play more hands (not loads more though) that way you get in to more spots and learn even faster.

i hope i have helped you a little bit.

gl at the tables!!

Old
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 12:58 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutTheHouse View Post
Thank you for the list of poker books, I shall do some research into them. I have already watched all of the non-trainer videos on PokerSchoolOnline but I haven't watched all of the training videos. I would watch them more often, but I think the user interface is rather troublesome and it makes it difficult to find the videos I would like to watch.
I don't understand the: Under 20 VPP Between 20 and 150 VPPs 150 and over VPPs
under 20vvp means beginner,
between 20 and 150 is a little more advanced
and 150+ is even more advanced stuff.

it ties in with the vvp or fpp points you have on pokerstars. if you have below 20 you can only watch the video's with a minus. etc...

Old
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 01:04 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2010
Nice question.

I'll have to let you know how I got to be so good at poker at some time in the future.

For now I can recommend all of the training videos and the live training - don't worry about the VPP restrictions, those will come with time - there is plenty of good stuff that all can access.

Hand analysis forum is great - you can post hands or just read what others have posted as there will be situations you will recognise.

My advice would be to get your bankroll management right first - so you don't bust altogether and are able to continue playing/practising at real money games at whatever level is comfortable for you.

Then whatever time you have set aside for poker make sure some of it is not for playing but for studying and reviewing your play. I have seen a marked improvement in my game since I joined PSO - I no longer consider this a form of entertainment I pay for, but one I enjoy and get a small bonus from.

Good luck

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
(#7)
Focus on two ideas.

#1 is the winning poker players make +EV decisions. It is the quality of your decisions that determine of you are a winning player.

#2 is focus on assessing situations, not just the cards you were dealt. There are a myriad of factors to consider at the table. One of the most important is that your actions must tell a consistent story. Changing tactics in the middle of a hand doesn't work out in the long term. Another is have a plan every time you enter a pot, even in your blinds.

The offerings on this site are meant to improve these areas of play.

Good decisions!

Joe

Old
Thumbs up
Welcome Harry/OutTheHouse - Fri Apr 27, 2012, 04:24 PM
(#8)
Hi Harry, I think completing the basic courses are good to start with here as a good sound refresher/base on the nuts and bolts of poker. http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/courses
Then you might want to target specific videos on your interests, like mtts, sngs, or cash.

I also suggest the live trainings from the staff here at PSO as they have done it all before, and have been through the highs and lows of poker so you could learn alot from their training. Also JD's home study group that he has started again. I usually learn, or at least refresh my memory/ relearn something from these in addition to gaining insight from many people who see things from different angles. Since your motivated and want to learn, you have come to the right place!

There are also lots of good forum posters with helpful info in this community as well as you can see from the posts already! Good luck in your studies and have fun!

Old
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 04:31 PM
(#9)
For me it was having clear goals that helped me focus.

A good example of this can be found here.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...777-2012-goals

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 06:05 PM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2011
Play, play, play.

You can read all these forums and every book on the planet but the best way to learn is to put it into practice. Whether it's a freeroll or a real money game just keep plugging away. Learn by your mistakes but the biggest secret is.... make less mistakes than your opponents.

Old
Fri Apr 27, 2012, 08:27 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
Play, play, play.

You can read all these forums and every book on the planet but the best way to learn is to put it into practice. Whether it's a freeroll or a real money game just keep plugging away. Learn by your mistakes but the biggest secret is.... make less mistakes than your opponents.
ok i would like to edit this.

I played for 7 years before finding the school and never got better playing on its own will not help.

i would like to change "play , play, play"

to

Play, review, Play, review, Play, review.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com