Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

OK, here's a question for you......

Old
Question
OK, here's a question for you...... - Sat Apr 28, 2012, 11:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Q. If you have the nuts or the winning hand and you shuv and don't get called is it the wrong bet? Or you bet big and don't get called is it the wrong bet?

I know there is no one right or wrong answer to this question but it's something I'm working on. If anything I think my problem is not getting enough value. I'd prefer to get something rather than nothing and so probably underestimate how much my villain will call.

I guess I need to work on my hand reading skills. If I can confidently put my opponent on a hand I'll have a much better idea of how much he is likely to pay me off on the river......

Hmmmm, kind of answering ym own question here but hey, this is a discussion forum after all!!

Old
Sat Apr 28, 2012, 12:19 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Kevin!

If I've got the nuts, I want to bet the maximum that I think the opp will call. By doing this, I'll get some chips from the opp. If I shove and the opp folds, then I'm losing value as the opp might call a smaller bet. The only way I'm shoving is if I think that the opp will call the shove.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 28, 2012, 10:49 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKevUK View Post
Q. If you have the nuts or the winning hand and you shuv and don't get called is it the wrong bet? Or you bet big and don't get called is it the wrong bet?

I know there is no one right or wrong answer to this question but it's something I'm working on. If anything I think my problem is not getting enough value. I'd prefer to get something rather than nothing and so probably underestimate how much my villain will call.

I guess I need to work on my hand reading skills. If I can confidently put my opponent on a hand I'll have a much better idea of how much he is likely to pay me off on the river......

Hmmmm, kind of answering ym own question here but hey, this is a discussion forum after all!!
That's something I've been thinking about a bit too ... as the person with the nuts wanting to get called, but also as the caller with the 2nd nuts wanting to better learn when to fold

Sometimes I don't always notice straights when I've got a set or 2pr, or even sometimes AK TPTK, like if the board is 6K9Q5 and the villain has 78? Also hands like if a person in position cbets a flush draw and bottom pair, and they make a trip ... like maybe masked can be confusing?

And then maybe the stack to pot ratio can sometimes make a difference too, like if I've got less than the pot left to my stack, etc?

That's all I can think of for now

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 02:43 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
I think you've got to establish the maximum amount you can get off your opponents. If that means an all in over raise or a min bet then I'll do it.

I don't always get it right, there are many times I've kicked myself because I didn't bet enough or bet too much and my opponent has folded. I think you have to pay attention to the table to see the likelyhood of a call.

Even your best guestimates are wrong but the only thing you can do is keep testing and tweaking your theory. Sure you'll get it wrong many times but you will also hit it right on many ocasions.

BTW always be aware of a players stack compared to the pot. If a player has 750 chips and the pot is 1500 then think about a 375 bet as well as a pot bet. Sometimes when I'm really evil I'll bet size the river with a 749 bet and leave my opponent with a chip. This is also a good bluff bet on the river if you think your opponent has a clue about chip counts.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com