Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Playing without HEM

Old
Playing without HEM - Sun Apr 29, 2012, 11:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
Not sure if this is the right section for this thread but it is a brag but also a point about playing with a HUD.

HEM2 went down on me on Friday. I've emailed support and it's maybe looking like I'll lose 30,000 hands since I last backed it up

That's a point in itself BACK UP YOUR DATA!!!

I felt like I was playing naked for a while but it's made me appreciate what I was doing right before I paid for HEM. In fairness HEM sent me on complete tilt. I was paying far too much to stats instead of attention to my opponents play.

Now without HEM I see my tables again in a different light. I'm bang on form again and usually make the correct decisions. I'm not paying attention to my own stats so much and I can read other players far better.

Here's my overall graph for STT's on Sharkscope:

That peak right at the end is how I've been playing without HEM.

The only thing I miss about HEM is the ability to re-evaluate hands and the handy feature that it shows folded hands that went to a showdown without me having to dig into hand histories. I also like it because it's handy for multi tabling without me having to pay attention to other peoples play.

I do feel it has made me lazy which I'm worried about. My strengths are in reading other players and playing accordingly.

Does anyone else use HEM for STT's?

Last edited by Ovalman; Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 11:37 AM
(#2)
Can anyone help me add an image? It's from tinypic if that matters.

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 12:51 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
Can anyone help me add an image? It's from tinypic if that matters.
Hi Ovalman!

Check out this thread.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Inserting image - Sun Apr 29, 2012, 12:58 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

If your image is hosted some place, click "Insert Image" and paste in the url to the image.

You can upload an attachment from your computer which is shown as a thumbnail you can open.

Insert image icon below:
Attached Images
File Type: png image.PNG (1.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by ForrestFive; Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 01:00 PM..

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 01:01 PM
(#5)
To add, I started playing with a HUD aroun game 2,000 until my recent peak.

One thing I can say about a HUD is that I am able to multi table a LOT more albeit with a lower ROI.

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 01:02 PM
(#6)
Many thanks with the image hosting. imageshack worked a treat.

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 02:22 PM
(#7)
I have lost 1 or 2 since my original post but I know I'm playing well. Players are being lucky and not good against me:

This hand killed me although didn't KO me. Can't see much wrong with it, I want my opponent all in on this hand as he is a no foldem and reraising very wide including overcards or bottom pair.

I think my success is due to a few factors and HEM has little bearing on it.

I've moved up a level and bets get respected more. Hands that will go to a showdown can be bluffed off the river.

Players like the above still can't fold until the river, they still have the same traits and will chase gutshots to the river but CAN and will fold.

I'm not paying attention to my own stats. When I see 0% VPiP after 20 hands I think I'm being too tight. I played the PSO yesterday withought seeing a pocket pair in over 100 hands yesterday, it happens. There's nothing wrong with playing tight, I'm usually blue whale status by the time it's heads up. If I could hide my own stats at a table I think I'd be a better player.

I think others are using a HUD and worry about my own image too much. Now I don't give a toss.

My only gripe is I'm not multi tabling. Before I was 6- 10 tabling, now I'm 1 or 2.

I really want to max out my profits but this has pickled my head. More tables at low stakes with a HUD or less tables at higher stakes with or without one.

Only 16 VPP's until silver star, I'll make it tonight or tomorrow.

This is turning into a blog rant, if mods want to move it then I'm fine.

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 03:17 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
Congratulations on the Silver Star Ovalman.

Two key lessons learned here...

Lesson 1/Computer related: Back up your data!!! (As Oval noted...)

Lesson 2/Poker related: NEVER value statistics over any solid reads,and the ability to make them and be solid in your hand ranging,that you have. Reads trump everything information wise in poker,by a wide margin.

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 03:53 PM
(#9)
Thanks Moxie (still head banging my head for losing 30,000 hands)

I grind at limit STT's BTW, hence the min raising on each street but they are more akin to NL STT's and why I play them. If anything I'm the reg on these.

I'm happy at NL but these are +EV for my game. Find what you're good at and stick to it imo.

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 04:14 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post

Lesson 1/Computer related: Back up your data!!! (As Oval noted...)

I hear ya! I lost 3 years of player notes when my old computer went last year. I'm now backing up HH and notes on a regular basis.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 04:29 PM
(#11)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
Thanks Moxie (still head banging my head for losing 30,000 hands)

I grind at limit STT's BTW, hence the min raising on each street but they are more akin to NL STT's and why I play them. If anything I'm the reg on these.

I'm happy at NL but these are +EV for my game. Find what you're good at and stick to it imo.

its nl50??? nice graph...wats your mtt roi??

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 04:39 PM
(#12)
Can mods move this to the blogs thread?

How regular do you back up?

This hand done a lot of damage but I felt I was good and my bet on the river usually gets a fold with middle pair or worse:

Was going to post that hand as a bad beat and my exit damage hand but to my line of thinking.

In the same game:

imo understanding what your opponent will do next is a key to my next play. I induce plays from my opponents and I feel I'm bang on form.

I avoid 1 player at these limits as I know he's good but I may not avoid him at this level. In fact he may do me a favour.

Last edited by Ovalman; Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 04:41 PM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
***moved per member request JWK24***

I've been backing up at least once/month, if not every 1-2 weeks.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 04:49 PM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Lovric View Post
its nl50??? nice graph...wats your mtt roi??
Denis, I'm a loser in MTT's although on other site's I'm a decent winner.

I feel that the MTT's are harder here both for beating donkeys and good players. I think I'm -$200 playing MTT's here but I know my decent cash will come. I'm not over worried about my play on here, I think I'm playing OK with some big mistakes but overall I'll get there eventually.

I know exactly where I stand in the poker world. Certain players would eat me up and spit me out but I don't want to play with them. I play poor players for a reason, they pay me.

My Sharkscope is open BTW so you can check yourself.

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 05:09 PM
(#15)
Here's a walkthrough of my thinking on this hand from above :

I have nothing pre flop but I get to see a free flop and my opponent checks. This is an easy steal opportunity. Had this have been a $1.50 game I would never EVER attempt a steal unless I felt my opponent was an absolute rock (which is never on a $1.50 STT)

The turn I pick up a flush draw so I keep representing something on the flop so I CBet. My opponets call makes me feel like he has something but if I check I give my opponent the chance to bet and take control of the pot.

The river I hit nothing but I've betted 2 streets already and a check on the river looks weak so I Cbet again so I keep firing. Had I checked the river he would probably have bet the river and I'd have lost anyway. I don't think I'd have lost any more chips than I needed, I pot controlled the hand and while I lost the hand I think I done OK out of it.

Now look at the hand from my opponents perspective.

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 05:52 PM
(#16)
Have to show this hand.

This is reverse mentality on my opponents:

He said in chat "you have a K", shame on me I told him I did. Hope it helps his notes.

Old
Sun Apr 29, 2012, 05:53 PM
(#17)
To add, he folded an A

Old
Tue May 01, 2012, 01:48 PM
(#18)
From what I'm reading into your graph, HEM didn't improve your profit rate, based on game 1,250(give or take) to game 2,000 (when you say you say you started using HEM) when you made about $600, and your profit from game 2,000 to when you stopped using it.

Could be due to variance, though. And I'm not an expert.

Old
Tue May 01, 2012, 03:07 PM
(#19)
There are a few things that have happened since I paid for HEM.

I was in good form when I paid for it, I actually used a $50 bounty I won for KO'ing a player on another site to treat myself to the program.

When I got it, I found the HUD very confusing. I didn't understand the numbers but I kept paying attention to them instead of watching the table. I had sensible bankrolled myself up to $7 level but when I had my troubles I dropped stakes again. I also lifted out for XMas which left me only a bankroll for $1.50 games.

When I started to learn the numbers and creating my own HUD, I started playing a lot more tables. My thinking was it made more sense 5 tabling $1.50 games than 1 tabling a $7. I also noticed my own HUD more, when I seen 0% VPiP after 10 hands on a table I was thinking I was being too tight. I made less notes because I was more tabling although I still colour coded players.

Without HEM I'm now playing to my strengths which is reading a player and a table. I'm spotting things that I wasn't seeing before, saving myself chips but also being able to win more. I just made a note on a reg at $3.50 "bet out middle pair, poor kicker in small blind". The HUD would have told me he was aggressive but not specifics like that. I really used to rely on my notes.

I will re-introduce the HUD but I will play far less tables. I was still winning with the HUD but my ROI certainly dropped, I'll take things a lot slower this time around. I really wanted to max out my tables at the highest level where I had the highest ROI, I still want to do that but now I'd rather concentrate on the things I do well and take things a bit slower.

I'm bankroll for $7 games but I notice a few decent regs so I'll table select these and do my grinding at $3.50 for a bit. As these are Limit STT's there isn't a big player pool, I can't avoid them forever if I want to progress so I may have to move back to NL where there will be decent regs but far more bad players and at higher stakes.

Old
Tue May 01, 2012, 03:16 PM
(#20)
From what I'm reading into your graph, HEM didn't improve your profit rate, based on game 1,250(give or take) to game 2,000 (when you say you say you started using HEM) when you made about $600, and your profit from game 2,000 to when you stopped using it.

Could be due to variance, though. And I'm not an expert.

Yes, games up to 2,000 were sensible bankrolled and went from D2N's at the start before switching to $1.50 STT's through to $7 STT's around game 2,000. The big peak at 2,000 is not one straight win, it was several $7 in a row. I know you get super heaters and coolers, my record for losing is 13 straight $1.50's in a row. It can happen.

My recent wins are probably another heater as I've lost a couple since but I know I'm playing well without the HUD.

Last edited by Ovalman; Tue May 01, 2012 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: added quote

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com