Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

tight player valuebet

Old
tight player valuebet - Mon Apr 30, 2012, 12:49 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012

only knowing the guy is pretty tight could i extreacted some more value out of him without scaring him away ?

Old
Mon Apr 30, 2012, 09:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Sverigelottn.

I think you got about as much as you could here to be honest...

Pre flop You raised him 1.5 times more than his open raise amount, and the only thing I can say is that if his 4bet % is pretty low, you MAY have been able to make it 80c instead. Still, versus a tight player the frequency of over cards to your JJ falling (without you holding a set) means that you could easily just cost yourself an additional 10c by raising the smaller additional amount.

The flop is certainly dry enough here versus a single tight opp to slow play. I doubt that you are gettng the many calls if you C Bet immediately, as that let's him off the hook with under pairs to the Jack, so in my opinion the check was fine.

Perhaps your turn bet is a bit small though, as you sized it at slightly under half pot. that 2 doesn;t figure to hit you very often at all, so after checking the flop I think you may have been safe in getting calls of a half pot bet (75c - 80c) by the same sorts of hands that might call your 70c bet. In the long run though, that really is a pretty small difference, and because you definately WANT a call I'd really not have a problem with the smaller sizing. Of note: a lot of your sizing here would depend on the amounts you might BLUFF here; if you are going to bet a bit under half pot when you want a call vs. this opp, you probably should bet that amount when you want a FOLD as well.

On the river you cannot bet too much, as at least some of the time you picked up a flush draw on the turn when you bet. A tight opp probably would recognize this and not pay off a large river bet on the type of hand I suspect he had (99/TT). Your half pot bet strikes me as a very good sizing that can get paid off by hands like those, so that is the amount I think i'd have chosen as well.

So bottom line here is that I really do not see a whole lot of ways you could get paid off more, and your line makes total sense to me!

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 30, 2012, 02:44 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
couldnt been more greatful about the answear

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com