Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl 6max AK-More aggressive with draws?

Old
5nl 6max AK-More aggressive with draws? - Mon Apr 30, 2012, 06:37 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
PokerStars Zoom Hand #79625563256: Hold'em No Limit ($0.02/$0.05) - 2012/04/29 9:38:22 ET
Table 'Donati' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: tobisohn11 ($4.82 in chips)
Seat 2: mad2908z ($6.39 in chips)
Seat 3: Apparatspott ($2.85 in chips)
Seat 4: Nashy1996 ($5.45 in chips)
Seat 5: KTUFAN ($6.20 in chips)
Seat 6: Optimuus12 ($5.22 in chips)
mad2908z: posts small blind $0.02
Apparatspott: posts big blind $0.05
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Nashy1996 [Ks As]
Nashy1996: raises $0.10 to $0.15
KTUFAN: folds
Optimuus12: folds
tobisohn11: raises $0.37 to $0.52
mad2908z: folds
Apparatspott: folds
Nashy1996: calls $0.37
*** FLOP *** [8s 7s 9d]
Nashy1996: checks
tobisohn11: bets $0.79
Nashy1996: calls $0.79
*** TURN *** [8s 7s 9d] [Qh]
tobisohn11: bets $1.29
Nashy1996: calls $1.29
*** RIVER *** [8s 7s 9d Qh] [Jh]
tobisohn11: checks

Hey Guys,

Just wondering weather i could have been more pro active with this hand and raised on the flop and possibly come over the top and get the money in given the spr set up by the pre flop action.
pre flop i decided to just flat his 3bet, he had stats of a tag player, 23/22 and 3bet % of 4 so i didnt want to bloat the pot too much given i miss 1/3rd of the time.
So guys could i have been more aggresive with my draw to the nut flush?
I appreciate it thanks

Old
Mon Apr 30, 2012, 02:54 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Nashy,

Less than 100 bb's deep I would probably 4b preflop and plan to get it in with him. We'll have fold equity for sure, and AKs plays well enough when we get it in... it may also serve to make players more apprehensive about 3-betting us if we are seen 4-betting more, and it makes the hand much easier to play, which flatting and playing out of position is not really that easy. And, if the villain is a reg and this gets shown, you want AK in your 4b/get it in range so when he 3b's you in the future you can 4b AA/KK and he won't be able to 3b/fold hands like TT or JJ.

Post flop I prefer to play the hand aggressively, as we can legitimately rep some very strong hands here and may have as many as 15 outs to fall back on if we get action... so I think it's decent semi-bluffing spot (it's almost good enough on hand equity alone, the fold equity we have puts it over the top). If we c/r jam the flop he'll fold AK I would think which is a great result. It's very hard to play our hand out of position check/calling as when we miss on the turn he can bomb us off it and when we improve the board will be scary enough that we may lose action (especially since he can never hold a big flush redraw if we hit the flush, since we have the 2 biggest flush cards).

With this strong a hand on less than 100bb's I think it's often (not always, but often) better to negate the positional advantage of an opponent who uses their position well by forcing the action preflop or directly on the flop.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com