Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Omaha H/L - Raising pre-flop

Old
Omaha H/L - Raising pre-flop - Tue May 01, 2012, 03:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
Hi all,

I am relatively new to the game of omaha hi/lo and I would like to know people's opinions on raising before the flop.

In hold'em there is a culture of raising before the flop and it seems to be the expected play for whoever is the first person to enter a pot but it's a somewhat less defined for O8. I have read conflicting articles from people who believe it should be rarely done because it is such a flop oriented game and some who believe that raising should be done quite frequently.

I know the two basic reasons to raise is to narrow the field and build a bigger pot but I play in the micro stakes "no fold-em" games so the first assumption does not hold much. Under those circumstances is it better to go with a strategy like limping with a playable but not great hand like Ax - suited ace and raise with a premium starting hand like AA23 ds? What strategy do ye go with, particularly in micro games?

Appreciate any feedback!

Old
Tue May 01, 2012, 11:36 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi rafasrevenge!

When I play O8, I want to have a hand where I can make multiple nut hands preflop before I raise. Preferrably two highs or one high and one low. Wiithout multiple chances, there are too many hands out there since the players get 4 cards, that will make me flat or muck preflop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 02, 2012, 03:02 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Micro games you have to raise strong hands preflop. The fact that you will get a few very poor calls with garbage hands just adds to the importance of doing so. Quite often they will be playing hands that will get them in a world of hurt and increased Freeroll opportunies for you.

Playing the strong starting hands will flop you so many more opportunities for high +EV aggression compared to your opponents. Raising it pre will just add to the punishment you can inflict on their bankrolls for their poor play.

Keep in mind that the people playing terrible starting hands at the micro levels are the same people that will play their hands poorly post-flop as well. So ask yourself, do you want to stack terrible players or not?
My 2 cents,

Gluck

Last edited by Da Sens Fan; Wed May 02, 2012 at 03:07 AM..

Old
Wed May 02, 2012, 06:38 AM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi rafasrevenge!

When I play O8, I want to have a hand where I can make multiple nut hands preflop before I raise. Preferrably two highs or one high and one low. Wiithout multiple chances, there are too many hands out there since the players get 4 cards, that will make me flat or muck preflop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

now this is what john talking bout, if i hit spades i have possibly the nut high, if i hit low, i have possibly the nuts also, the reason y the hand split was cause he had the same 2 pair as me with a kicker but i won the low, so 11 cents to him 34 cents to me

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com