Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Satellite bubble play

Old
Satellite bubble play - Tue May 01, 2012, 05:27 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
I am not sure if I made the correct decision here, top 100 receive a step1 ticket and top two receive a step 2 ticket, I am placed 86th out of 115 looking to survive until the bubble bursts then I am dealt QQ, this is a 11FPP rebuy tourney, big stack shoves into another big stack in the BB , do you call or fold?

Old
Tue May 01, 2012, 09:52 PM
(#2)
Hi 73REX73,

I don't think I would be thinking about the Step2 ticket at all at this point. My target would be do whatever gives me the best chance to make top 100.

There's still 15 players to bubble. I would want to know how often I can fold there. If there are 28 players with less chips than you at 35k and we've just been through the blinds. I think we have a good chance of stalling and folding into the money here. But I think your gut would probably have a better idea.

In terms of going for the Step2. You have a micro stack here winning this pot probably won't change things too much. Say it gave you average stack then I guess the math is you still only have 2% equity in the 2 Step 2 tickets worth $27 each that ammounts to 80c in equity to go along with the value of a Step 1 ticket.

So clearly we should never risk a $7 cash for 80c in extra equity. This is definately a spot where the chips we have a more valuable than the chips we could win.

I hope you got the ticket.

Thanks
Andrew

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 02, 2012, 12:25 AM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi 73REX73!

This one's tough. If there are enough players below me that I can fold and get a ticket, then I'm mucking.
If I have to get chips to get a ticket (not likely), then I'm shoving here.

I'd hope that I had enough chips to get a ticket... in which case, I'll fold and then play the first playable hand after the bubble bursts.

It's hard to muck QQ here, but I think it's the best move.... unless I absolutely needed chips to get past the bubble.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 02, 2012, 05:45 AM
(#4)
Thanks for the replies, I was just aiming for the step 1 ticket and folded QQ, but I only just managed to get the ticket having just over one ante left when the bubble burst, good job I did the PSO time strategy near the bubble.

Old
Wed May 02, 2012, 03:30 PM
(#5)
With the stalling, You should be doing it atelast since you've folded those queens. Your decision at this point is pretty much not to ever play any more hands, now you just want to pay as few antes as possible till the bubble bursts.

Etiquette wise, I don't have a problem stalling in this spot either. You've got a quarter of the remaining field sitting with under 1 BB This is not a normal poker game. Nobody cares if you decide to start taking your time.

Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com