Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

JTo hijack vs two weak players

Old
JTo hijack vs two weak players - Thu May 03, 2012, 03:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
hey guys,

recently I played this hand.
I had JTo in the hijack seat and I open-raised to 3X.
there were two weaker players still in, the cutoff and the BB. They both had a full(ish) stack
However the cutoff 3bet me to 9X.

The BB cold called the raise and I decided to fold. I would have flopped a straigth and ended up stacking them both. Is JTo a good hand to gamble with vs weak players?

thanks

Old
Thu May 03, 2012, 07:02 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Sjekkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjekkkk View Post
hey guys,

recently I played this hand.
I had JTo in the hijack seat and I open-raised to 3X.
there were two weaker players still in, the cutoff and the BB. They both had a full(ish) stack
However the cutoff 3bet me to 9X.

The BB cold called the raise and I decided to fold. I would have flopped a straigth and ended up stacking them both. Is JTo a good hand to gamble with vs weak players?

thanks
It depends on HOW they are "weak"...

If the raiser raises and/or 3bet too widely pre flop, AND the caller calls way too widely, JTo MAY be a hand you can profitable shove on. Of course to make this reasonably I am guessing you have to expect that BOTH ranges are on the order of 40%+.

This is going to be quite rare if an opp 3bets you pre.

If both the raiser and the caller play uber passively post flop, and the money is quite deep, you could get the right odds to play a draw. That would probably means both opps would have to be wide/aggro pre, and passive post flop; again, very rare.

If both opps are extremely station-y, to the point where they would not fold to a straight you might make (or a 2 pair+ hand), and the money is quite deep, you might be ab le to keep going on JTo here...

The truth is I could go on and on about various scenarioes where it MIGHT be ok to continue on JTo here, but instead I will simply state the reasons for NOT continuing:

- You lack position.

This makes it a lot harder to extract value from "made" hands you might flop, and also makes it a lot harder to know what price you might have to pay on any draws you might flop.

- You lack a strong hand (versus most 3bet ranges).

Even 'weak" players are allowed to wake up with a decent hand, and any 1 pair hand you might flop is going to have you in kicker issues.

- You lack the ability to flop a strong 2 way draw.

You are not suited, so flopping a flush draw, plus an oesd, may mean either one or the other of your draws may not be good enough for you to win if you hit.

- You lack the depth of money to play one way draws well.

200BB is a normal start stack for an NL game. If you flat the 3bet, at best you are looking at an SPR of under 10 going to the flop. This really does not leave you enough room to maneuver on an 8 or 9 out draw, since any standard size C-bet is going to bloat the pot for a 200BB stack to the point your semi bluff fold equity goes WAY down.

(pre flop there is at least 27BB in if you call, and if you 4bet and lose 1 opp the SPR is way too low for a 1 pair hand JTo might flop).

So...

Folding JTo to the 3bet is almost certainly the correct move for you when you try a light pre flop raise and get 3bet. Thereafter, what comes on the flop makes no difference to the decision you made, as you had no clue that you would flop a straight when you had to make your decision, and you have EVERY clue that tells you that flopping a straight is quite rare indeed (~1.3% with middle connected cards).

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Thu May 03, 2012 at 07:09 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com