Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

The Open League - A Final Assault ?

Old
The Open League - A Final Assault ? - Fri May 04, 2012, 12:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
This much maligned league has been good to me. In the fifteen months that I’ve participated I’ve won a total of $1.660, only twice failing to win at least $50. And on both those occasions I’ve accumulated enough points to bank the $50 but fallen foul of some horrendous beats whilst trying to climb higher. However, both of those "failures" have come within my last three attempts. So whilst the games demand little in the way of attention, trying to beat over a hundred thousand competitors into those top 20 spots and winning just $10 when failing means I don’t think I can justify the amount of "screen time" it demands for much longer. So what am I going to do?

This month I’m going to join the Ukranians on a sleep deprived endurance test in an attempt to finally win the thing. For the next two weeks I’ll be playing pretty much EVERY game to get me to the cliffs edge as quickly as possible. By May 16th I WILL be in the top 10 and I’ll then have another two weeks in which to be selective about which games will give me the best chance of finally clinching the deal.

How will it turn out? Well I’m confident, but who knows. You simply cannot beat this many players without running good when it matters most. But whatever the outcome, one thing is certain. I won’t ever be putting this much effort into another try in the future. In months where I’ve earned over 150VPP’s I may give the Premier League a shot. But as for ever again being a serious contender in the Open League, it just ain’t gonna happen.

Old
Fri May 04, 2012, 02:02 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Best wishes (don't think this one is about luck, more mental stability) for your quest.

Unfortunately, I reckon you are starting handicapped as most of your fellow competitors attempting to do almost every tourney is a team.

You would be a dangerous addition to the Premier League and more than capable of reaching the serious money regularly.

Old
Fri May 11, 2012, 09:02 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
Good Luck DM.

See you at the Premiere League next month.

Old
Fri May 11, 2012, 09:18 PM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2012
BronzeStar
Grats dude and good luck

Old
Tue May 15, 2012, 01:27 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
I don't think I'll wait until tomorrow. I'm officially throwing in the towel right now.

In the last 24 hours I've had AA cracked by 72o/s and KK trounced by 95o/s. Enough's enough. On their own these two sickerners aren't that unusual for this league, but they came at the end of an already dismal run. Add to that the fact that the lack of sleep had me passing out five minutes before registration, constantly feeling drained and falling behind with some far more important things I should have been attending to and it became a no brainer.

From this point on I'm leaving it to those who need no sleep or social interaction in their lives. Good luck to ya. I'm going for some therapy before returning to the real world

Old
Tue May 15, 2012, 08:27 PM
(#6)
Good luck with the therapy and the real world, DMan!!

I never understood how anyone could play so many tourney games per day. As you said, peeps need a life and some social interaction. The only way I can believe those players get in all those games is through sharing accounts, but that has been discussed in another thread.

Are you going to try for the Premier League through the Qualifier League?

Good Luck.

Herk

Old
Tue May 15, 2012, 08:58 PM
(#7)
Since: Mar 2012
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkstwin View Post
Good luck with the therapy and the real world, DMan!!

I never understood how anyone could play so many tourney games per day. As you said, peeps need a life and some social interaction. The only way I can believe those players get in all those games is through sharing accounts, but that has been discussed in another thread.

Are you going to try for the Premier League through the Qualifier League?

Good Luck.

Herk
I could never understand it either.
After reading Darkmans original post I thought I might give a real effort and I can only play one tourney per day that being the 6:00 pm pt and now after seeing all the sitters I figured I can sign up for the 6am tourney and try to double up while I make my lunch for work and once I'm ready to leave , just sitout and hope for positive points.I can also do the same for the 10pm , but I need sleep so I just sit that one out.So far It's been ok , but I can't see myself finishing in the money at month's end.
I'm currently just out of the money and only because I had aces this morning on the button and bet.Big blind calls with 89 off suit and flop came 9 8 J....you know the rest.
Currently I'm trying to control my anger at these kind of players , but so far not going well
GL In premier league mang.Maybe one day I might see you there

Old
Meta-game: - Wed May 16, 2012, 06:25 AM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2011

"Metagaming is a broad term usually used to define any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game. Another definition refers to the game universe outside of the game itself.

In simple terms, it is the use of out-of-game information or resources to affect one's in-game decisions." - Wikipedia

"" - OSL meta-gaming

On the one hand, if you are sick of the league, and do not want to pursue it any more, then that is okay. But on the other hand, remember there is still half of the month to go. A half dozen good finishes and you might jump back into the top 10. Take some time to think about it.

...and on the third hand... Why play the OSL?

I am thinking about taking a couple months away from poker after this month. Definitely will never pursue finishing at the top of the league again. Actually, as of today, I made the 2500+ points necessary to most likely finish above 80th place for this month - and this was my goal for the league this month. In essence, I finished what I wanted to accomplish. Time to stop. To put the money in perspective, the $7.50 league prize for 80th place is half of what I made tonight in the Big $2.20. So why continue to invest time playing in the OSL?

For me it comes down to three reasons. I wanted to see if the OSL is a valid option for bankroll building; I am currently in the top ten, and unexpectedly find myself with a shot at finishing much higher in the money than I thought possible. (Though this might fade quickly with a couple early exits.) Secondly, I am curious to see what the final result will be at the end of the month, given the approach I am using.Thirdly is for the bragging rights; proof that I got game - meta-game.

On June 1st I will be asking for your therapist's phone number.

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 07:50 AM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
I don't think I'll wait until tomorrow. I'm officially throwing in the towel right now.

In the last 24 hours I've had AA cracked by 72o/s and KK trounced by 95o/s.
Me too. AA cracked by 34 (it was sooted though). KK by 72o and numerous other instances. I had noticed your gradual descent down the table but had assumed that you were not playing or, at least, not playing so much. I am almost certain that some of the Eastern Bloc players are in fact teams of 3 or 4, either that or they are on Bennies (or whatever they are called nowadays).

Maybe you will feel different after some rest.

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 08:39 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
As I said right at the start, I shouldn't knock it, as the league's provided me with a nice lump of free money. But most of that was "earned" back in the days when the league was fun. And "fun" it most definately isn't nowadays.

The combined effect of losing the Americans and their contributions to the forum, and opening up the league to anybody who had the limited brain power necessary to locate the Freeroll tab completely destroyed the feeling of being part of something genuinely competitive with a "club like" atmosphere. I understand why it was thrown open to all and sundry, but I also get the feeling that many of those who intially started playing under the new format are also becoming disillusioned with what they found. I haven't checked the figures, but it looks to me like the number participating is rapidly decreasing. We're back to the stage where some games don't fill up and the need for "instant" registration has long passed.

So. Moving on I may well give the Premier League a shot from time to time. But I suspect I've probably got to the stage where I should leave the leagues alone completely and utilise my time making some proper money in games where when I do lose, I hopefully learn more about the villains than the fact that they've had a lobotomy

Hopefully, when I next make a substantial post in the forum it'll be to let you know how successful it's been

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
(#11)
Since: Feb 2011
best of descisions, in what ever you do Dman! GL out there!!

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 10:28 AM
(#12)
Since: Oct 2010
I'm sure the Open's loss will be "someone" else's gain , I just can't think of anyone. I don't have time to follow your progress but I will purchase the DVD when it appears.

Old
150% Right - Wed May 16, 2012, 11:05 AM
(#13)
Since: Jun 2010
ChromeStar
You are absolutely dead on Darkman, what was has not been for many many months and it wont be again. The forum , our forum which I and so many others contributed to , read, laughed about , challanged each other in, made sure the peeps we knew had a starter fund to get vpps, argued in and felt somewhat of an ownership in left. It has become the most boring place on the planet, yes the tools to learn are here and instruction is great, but making the forum a part of my day is long gone for sure , as well as all the others I used to see here every day.

As far as the Open Skill League or the other, it has been replace long ago with something I have no words to express. No one will ever convince me that someone can stay up a whole month and play every single game, existing on one or two hours sleep a day. You not only have to register but then play for 3 hours or more sometimes, then get right in another . Sleep deprevation which someone should look up,pretty much says it all. There are too many machines and programs being used on sites nowadays is what I believe.

So much for my blathering on and on, hope you return again soon, and I really really hope one day this forum and the PSO can be apart of my everyday again. Not just an afterthought.

Old
Wed May 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
(#14)
Since: Mar 2011
chilli a wos burnt out after the first week last month in the open im not going to play 100 and od games to try and keep up with them i carnt do it no more im playing the prem if i go back to the open i will play to go back to the prem and thats it.geting to the prem is easy but going for the top spots in the open just takes to mutch out of you.

Old
Thumbs up
Thu May 17, 2012, 05:33 PM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZLIYEAR View Post
chilli a wos burnt out after the first week last month in the open im not going to play 100 and od games to try and keep up with them i carnt do it no more im playing the prem if i go back to the open i will play to go back to the prem and thats it.geting to the prem is easy but going for the top spots in the open just takes to mutch out of you.
Even though you guys have a tight knit friendship and you dont know me --I have followed your blogs and comments -- I just wanted to let you know most of you have taught me alot about this game we love. After taking some months off-- I,ve since come back --Now stronger then ever bringing what Ive learned from the old league and a new stategy to climb in the open league that seems to be working (you can check my blogs for my master strategy) Soon I hope to be in the premier league as well Any way just wanted to let you know keep up the good work

Old
Thu May 17, 2012, 05:58 PM
(#16)
Since: Nov 2007
Glad that everyone agrees now with what I said a year ago . From the pub somewhere in Germany

Cheers tc

Old
Thu Jun 07, 2012, 10:49 PM
(#17)
how do you manage to stay in the open league if your results suggest you are regularly qualifying for the premier .

I qualified for the premier at my 2nd attempt but wanted to to keep playing the open for awhile , only to find that any results i got gave me no league points , because i had the ticket for the premier .

Old
Thu Jun 07, 2012, 10:58 PM
(#18)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasierbeams View Post
how do you manage to stay in the open league if your results suggest you are regularly qualifying for the premier .

I qualified for the premier at my 2nd attempt but wanted to to keep playing the open for awhile , only to find that any results i got gave me no league points , because i had the ticket for the premier .
Hi frasierbeams!

You can only be in one league at a time, so if you qualify for the premier, you will have to play the premier league the next month and cannot accumulate points in the open. You can still play it, but will not be eligible for the prizes. If you don't requalify for the premier the next month, then you will be dropped back to the open league.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 08, 2012, 12:36 AM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasierbeams View Post

Since the Premier League came into being I've only been playing the Open every 2nd month. I felt hard done by at first, but I soon found it actually helped keep me sane

Old
Fri Jun 08, 2012, 10:12 AM
(#20)
Since: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
As I said right at the start, I shouldn't knock it, as the league's provided me with a nice lump of free money. But most of that was "earned" back in the days when the league was fun. And "fun" it most definately isn't nowadays.

The combined effect of losing the Americans and their contributions to the forum, and opening up the league to anybody who had the limited brain power necessary to locate the Freeroll tab completely destroyed the feeling of being part of something genuinely competitive with a "club like" atmosphere. I understand why it was thrown open to all and sundry, but I also get the feeling that many of those who intially started playing under the new format are also becoming disillusioned with what they found. I haven't checked the figures, but it looks to me like the number participating is rapidly decreasing. We're back to the stage where some games don't fill up and the need for "instant" registration has long passed.

So. Moving on I may well give the Premier League a shot from time to time. But I suspect I've probably got to the stage where I should leave the leagues alone completely and utilise my time making some proper money in games where when I do lose, I hopefully learn more about the villains than the fact that they've had a lobotomy
"The combined effect of losing the Americans and their contributions to the forum, and opening up the league to anybody who had the limited brain power necessary to locate the Freeroll tab completely destroyed the feeling of being part of something genuinely competitive with a "club like" atmosphere"
yeap sorry to say, all thee best Darkman

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com