Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

6max 5nl, AKo on button facing min 3bet

Old
6max 5nl, AKo on button facing min 3bet - Fri May 04, 2012, 04:28 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

Small sample on the guy of 38 hands, he is a 24/5 with a 3bet of 7.7 (1/13), this was his first 3bet didn't have a lot of reads on the opponent other than now he likes the min 3bet with AA. Profitable and OK to get it in here or not?

Old
Sat May 05, 2012, 05:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Darkmajik.

The opp here is pretty passive.

The opp here 3bets, which is out of character.

Normally, if you think he might raise on a 5% range, you;d expect a 3bet range for this guy to be tighter.

Even if you did credit him with the full 5% range to 3bet you (because you are on the BTN, he doesn't "believe you" for instance), you only have about 46% equity versus his raise range. If you tighten him up to a 2% range, you are around 35% equity.

In my opinion, the only reason to 4bet is that you hope he is on a hand he might be willing to fold that could be better than your holding, like a small.med pp. in most cases I am flatting the 3bet, and going to re-assess on the flop depending on whether I hit...

When this guy does not slow down at all, and instead 5bets you, the time to get out of dodge with AKo is right then...

I am really, REALLY doubting a guy this passive is going to 5bet less than AA (or MAYBE KK) very often at all.

So I cannot say I think AKo has much of a chance vs this particular opp at all.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com