Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Pot Control

Old
Pot Control - Fri May 04, 2012, 07:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey guys !
I was just taking a look at my game after the flop, and I kinda got stuck in this situation here. I can't find out which one is the best play.

I'ts in the topic of pot control, let's say I have a hand like AT on the button (and isolate the BB), and the flop comes 4 A 8 rainbow. I bet the flop and he calls. The turn comes a blank like another 4. So I've read that I should check the turn for pot control (which I think is a good decision, both to avoid inflate the pot and due to the vulnerability of my hand) and then maybe bet the river. But I think that the pot control should be done at the river, for four reasons:
1- You keep showing strength in that non-coordinated board
2- The opponent doesn't get a free river card
3- If I bet the turn he's less likely to bet the river
4- I have position so I can check back the river card

What do u guys think about taking the pot control on the river rather then on the turn ? Of course, there are a lot of other things to consider here, and my example was just to ilustrate a scenario. But in a more general line of thought, when is better to take a pot control ? At the turn or the river ?

Thanks

Old
Tue May 08, 2012, 11:33 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
i don't think it really matters that much in a gereral sense. whatever helps u win the most with this hand is what needs to be done. if the likelihood of the opponent drawing out of me on the river is high, then yeah, im gonna bet the turn and check the river. the only time i would check the turn is if i wanted my opponent to have a chance to catch up or give him the impression that i was only taking a shot at the pot once and have no intention of betting the river, in which case he would do the betting for me. it's really up in the air, but generally, if i have a made hand with no draws, i would save the pot control for the river. if i have a draw with or without a poorer hand like 2nd or 3rd pair, i would pot control the turn.

Old
Tue May 08, 2012, 05:42 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
What do you do if a somewhat scary card falls on the river, you've barrelled twice, and the villain leads the river?

A) the lead is likely to be a lot bigger
B) you will have likely put a good chunk of chips into the pot with your 2 barrels

Thoughts?

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 08, 2012, 11:14 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
I think that if the villain show that much strength at the river, he's less likely to be bluffing ( although he could ). I'd give up most of the times.
But it would be interesting to take a look at the David Sklansky book "The Theory of Poker" where in the "Chapter Nineteen : Game Theory and Bluffing" there is a whole sub-chapter called "Using Game Theory to Call Possible Bluffs" which could be used here to decide when you call this possible bluff. Really interesting stuff if you want to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
What do you do if a somewhat scary card falls on the river, you've barrelled twice, and the villain leads the river?

A) the lead is likely to be a lot bigger
B) you will have likely put a good chunk of chips into the pot with your 2 barrels

Thoughts?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com