Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2 NL 6 Max AK flop dilemma

Old
2 NL 6 Max AK flop dilemma - Sat May 05, 2012, 02:24 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Was on a new table, villain frankmartini was basically limping with all sorts of rubbish hands. 67/0 over 12 hands. He's a loose passive player. I Cbet him twice previously and he folded.

This time he raised me on a big pot instead. Is this an indication of strength, having a 2 pairs, or was he just bluffing? Should I have given up my AKs?

Old
Sat May 05, 2012, 05:08 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi TheAwesomeNW.

In this spot you have A hi, and no real draw possibilities. If you call his raise you'll be well over 25% invested in a FAT pot, and if you jam and he calls, you will probably be drawing to 6 outs max (and some of those 6 will be pretty "dirty", like hitting the Kh might give him a flush...see?)

Even if he IS bluffing, this does not look like a good spot to get yourself stuck to a pot where you'll have no real indication whether or not a single pair hand you MIGHT hit on the turn will be good enough to win.

I would just let this go, and conserve chips to look for a better spot.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Sat May 05, 2012 at 05:10 AM..

Old
Sat May 05, 2012, 05:19 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2012
Yup thanks. Playing a fat pot with only 6 outs really isn't good After playing with him after 100 hands, his stat is 67/20. He hardly raises postflop so I think he had a decent hand.

Old
Sun May 06, 2012, 10:25 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Nicely played. His passive preflop approach probably translates to post-flop as well. Even with little data on villain it is probably safe to make some assumptions. Such as a raise from him is always for value with strong hands. Medium and weak hands call down and his air folds. Value bet him to death when you hit the flop and when you don't c-betting flop is fine, but that is it. If he calls or raises the flop c-bet he most likely connected with it in some way so there is no reason to try and bluff him off his hand. Concede a small pot to him and wait for a better spot to win 10x the amount back.

Old
Sun May 06, 2012, 03:09 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Standard fold, AQ would be a difficult decision.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com